Do you have a bunch of boxed cake mixes sitting in your cupboard? They’re a great last-minute hack for a cake or cupcake emergency.
But you can make other quick and easy desserts with cake mix also!
Box cake mix desserts are perfect for family get-togethers and a simple way to make quick desserts that still counts as homemade.
From decadent chocolate desserts to fruity dump cakes with dry yellow cake mix, this is a collection of easy dessert ideas that you’ll want to make right now! (Especially if you’re a lazy baker like me.)
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I earn from qualifying purchases by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I also participate in affiliate programs for other retailers.
Easy desserts with cake mix
Using a mix as the base is a quick way to make lots of sweet recipes. It’s easy to amp up a boxed cake mix by adding other ingredients.
And you can still totally call it homemade, which makes me happy!
How to amp up boxed cake mix
Sometimes you use the dry mix and other times you make the batter and add to it. But every time, you get something even more delicious than you started with.
You can jazz up boxed cake mix using ingredients like pudding, chocolate chips, spike it with booze, and so much more.
These easy ideas and cake mix recipes will have dessert on the table in no time!
Cake mix dessert ideas
Here are just a few simple ideas to make using a boxed cake mix. They’re super versatile!
- Cake – Whether you’re sticking to a basic sheet cake or jazzing it up by making a moist poke cake, a boxed cake mix makes a simple dessert that has a consistent taste every time.
- Cupcakes – Plain or infused with alcohol, boxed cake mix is a great place to start when you need to make a batch of these delicious handheld treats.
- Dump cakes – Delicious dump cakes use the dry cake mix which, when mixed with melted butter, creates a super sweet and tasty crust.
- Bundt cakes – Bundt cakes start with a batter made from box cake mix and add things like dry pudding or even wine to add more flavor.
- Cake mix cookies – Cake mix cookies have a fluffy consistency and a flavor, unlike traditional cookies.
- Cookie bars – Cookie bars let you really play with unique flavor combinations and make a baked dessert that you can eat with your hands or serve on a plate.
Yellow Cake Mix Recipes
There are a bunch of easy things to make with yellow cake that you're going to want to cram in your mouth. These quick recipes will have a cake mix dessert on the table in no time.
Recipes That Use White Cake Mix
White cake mix is great in all kinds of dessert recipes! The vanilla flavor is versatile and I like to use it in recipes that have a unique flavor that I really want to shine through.
Gluten-Free Cake Mix Desserts
Since I'm not on a gluten-free diet, I only have one recipe that uses a gluten-free cake mix. The cake mix is made with almond flour and has a delicious graham cracker-like taste!
Recipes with Angel Food Cake Mix
Looking for recipes using angel food cake mix? These recipes have a delicious flavor that you will not soon forget.
Recipes Using Chocolate Cake Mix
I love decadent chocolate desserts! Chocolate cake mix makes it easy to put together a delicious confection with just a few ingredients. Taking a chocolate cake mix and making it into something even more scrumptious? I can get behind that! A doctored up cake mix is better than any regular old cake mix any day!
Bundt Cake Recipes from Cake Mixes
I love a good bundt cake don't you!? These easy recipes start with cake mix and use other flavorings to add moisture and tons of great taste! These are great for entertaining! And best of all, they usually don't require frosting!
Can you add mayo to a boxed mix
After trying Mayo Cookies, I started paying more attention to this interesting ingredient for my other baking.
One of the reasons bakers use mayo, especially with a boxed mix, is that it makes the cake very tender.
Mayonaise is simply oil, vinegar, and egg. The acid that’s in the vinegar will help bring the flavor of the cake out. The oil in the mayo will help make the cake very tender!
While it may not be the first thing you consider putting in the cake, it is a good idea.
It’s also great in a pinch! One time, we had to make an emergency birthday cake while staying in a mountain cabin and didn’t have eggs. The mayo worked perfectly!
How many cupcakes does a box of cake mix make
If you are making a box cake mix into cupcakes, you may be wondering how many cupcakes it will make.
Recipes using cake mix, specifically cupcakes, makes around 24, depending on how much you fill the cups.
I’m all about easy dessert recipes! Not interested in using a boxed mix? I’m sure I have another delicious treat that you’ll want to shovel in your face.
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake – My most popular dessert recipe. EVER! This Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake is so simple and is always a crowd-pleaser! With store-bought angel food cake and frozen strawberries, this no-bake dessert is easy to make and serve for any occasion.
- Best Ever Caramel Corn – If you want a crunchy sweet snack, this Caramel Corn recipe is what you need. This dessert is a family favorite! It’s baked to make it extra crunchy and the flavor is one you’ll crave!
- Frozen Peanut Butter Pie – I’m not really a pie girl. Except for this Frozen Peanut Butter Pie. It’s creamy and cool and is even better when you serve it in a chocolate cookie crust…YUM!
Pin to save these cake mix desserts for later
Whether you just want a quick cake or something more unique, these quick and easy desserts with cake mix will have your mouth watering!