We always just call this “strawberry cake” but it’s SO much more than that. This perfect pink dessert uses cubed angel food cake and Jello to make a quick dessert that you’ll crave all year long!
Strawberry Angel Food Cake Dessert is a nostalgic no-bake dessert that uses frozen strawberries for tons of flavor. And it totally reminds you of being a kid!
I love this quick and easy dessert recipe for spring and summer celebrations but no matter what occasion you make it for, it’s always a crowd-pleaser.
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I earn from qualifying purchases by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I also participate in other affiliate programs for other retailers.
This Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake is a family favorite!
This Strawberry Angel Food Cake with Cool Whip is so easy to make and is always very well received! From the comments left on this post and my pins, it’s totally sentimental and reminds people of beloved family members.
It only uses a few simple ingredients like store-bought angel food cake pieces, frozen strawberries, Cool Whip whipped topping and strawberry Jello.
This light and fluffy cake is super flavorful and totally reminds me of summer!
My mom used to make it for us on summer break and it makes my heart smile just thinking about it.
I love that I now get to make it for my own kids! Same thing with Ice Cream Floats! Such a fun family tradition!
This strawberry angel food cake dessert with Jello is really more like a dump cake. It’s no-bake which is why it’s perfect for warmer weather.
This poor, sad, ugly little cake.
This is not the dessert you will make if you are trying to impress guests who are superficial and into outward appearances.
For that, I would make this faux croquembouche instead.
But this is the easiest strawberry cake recipe you make for your friends when you want to give them a mouth hug.This is my go-to dish for a family party or neighborhood potluck and it’s always gone immediately.
It’s so unfortunate that this lush-type dessert is just not that pretty.
But it sure is pretty on the inside.
It’s just an angel food Jello cake dessert. Pretty straightforward stuff. But absolutely delicious.
How to Make this Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake Dessert
Scroll to the end of the post for a printable recipe card with full measurements and instructions!
- Angel Food Cake (store-bought)
- Strawberry Jell-O
- boiling water
- frozen whipped topping (like Cool Whip, thawed in fridge)
- frozen strawberries in sugar (the kind that also has juice, not whole frozen berries), not thawed but not straight from the freezer
The store sells a ready-made option that just needs to be torn (which is a great task to have the kids do!).
The store-bought cake keeps this dessert quick to prepare.
Take the time you would have used to make the cake and go take 15 minutes for yourself.
It may be hard to find the frozen strawberries in juice. I haven’t figured out a good swap yet, but will work on that at some point.
If I had to guess, the best thing to do would be to cut up fresh strawberries and add sugar so they create their own juices.
Then freeze! Two of my local stores didn’t have the strawberries in juice but I was able to find them at Target and Stater Bros.
This pink strawberry angel food cake dessert couldn’t be easier to make!
Crumble up the ring of cake and add half of the angel food pieces to the bottom of a dish. If a few pieces fall up into your mouth, that’s ok.
- Remove the strawberries from the freezer and let them sit on the counter while working through the next steps.
- Break ½ of the angel food cake into chunks and put in the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
- Mix Jell-O in a bowl with 2 cups boiling water.
- Add strawberries immediately and stir.
- Fold in spoonfuls of Cool Whip until well mixed.
- Spoon ½ mixture over angel food cake in dish.
Mix the Jello until just dissolved. The cold strawberries will help the Jello start to set.
Stirring will help to melt the strawberry juice the rest of the way, but you may need to use your hands to break them up if they remain in a chunk.
If you forget to take the Cool Whip out of the freezer to thaw, it will still work.
You’ll just need to stir it a little longer to get it to mix in.
- Repeat layers and set in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Cut into squares and serve immediately.
You’ll want to take the back of a wooden spoon and push down any cake pieces that are sticking out the top so they are submerged and can soak up all the flavor.
Don’t leave them exposed like this photo shows.
I mean, it really doesn’t ruin it because Angel Food cake is delish.
But still, you’ll get the best flavor if you drown those bad boys.
Putting this strawberry Angel Food jello cake together (I realize this isn’t really a cake, but it has cake in it so…and it’s so much easier than saying Strawberry Angel Food Cake Dessert with Jello, right?) is SO easy.
It doesn’t require any baking skills or much kitchen know-how.
Plus, pink desserts are always the best! Just look at all that pink goodness!Cover it with foil and put in the fridge until ready to serve. So simple. So tasty.
I would leave it to set for at least 2 hours but 4 or more will make sure it is totally set and will keep its form when cut into squares.
I’m usually too lazy to cut into squares. I usually just scoop it onto a plate. Or into my mouth.
Who knew that Angel Food cake, frozen strawberries and Cool Whip could taste SO good!
This recipe totally reminds people of recipes their grandmas made for them!
Or Make it A Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake Trifle!
A reader suggested I try using a trifle bowl so I did.
It’s a lot cuter in terms of dish choice but the dessert itself…still not so much.
A trifle is a great dessert to serve when you have company.
It’s also a great idea for people, like me, who aren’t great at decorating cakes!
Someone else suggested making this in a bundt pan. That’s the route I’m going to try next time. It will look nice when turned out onto a plate and the slices would probably even look nice on a dessert plate.
I must have taken 300 pictures of it trying to get it to look appetizing. Nope.
You’re going to have to trust me on this one. And I know my sweets.
Try to serve it on a cute plate at least, and definitely use a trifle bowl instead of the 9 x 13 pan. Everything looks better in a trifle bowl! Growing up, this strawberry cake was always our favorite.
It reminds me of big get-togethers with neighbors and hanging out with my sister. I hope you’ll make this for the ones you love too.
It’s a great recipe to get the kids to help out with.
Aside from the boiling water (parents, YOU do that part please!), it’s a lot of stirring and tearing. Kids excel at tearing.
And more than anything, this pink dessert makes people smile.
Wath the Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake Recipe Video again on Youtube.
More strawberry desserts to try
- Stupid Easy Strawberry Snack
- Easy Strawberry Refrigerator Cake from Crystal and Comp.
- Strawberry Poke Cake from It Is a Keeper
- White Chocolate Strawberry Cake Roll from We’re Parents
Other easy desserts to make for a crowd
Printable Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1 ring Angel Food Cake, store-bought
- 1 6 oz. pkg. Strawberry Jello
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 regular container frozen whipped topping, like Cool Whip, thawed in fridge
- 16 oz. container frozen strawberries in sugar, the kind that also have juice, not whole frozen berries
- Set out frozen strawberries to thaw while working on the rest of the recipe.
- Boil water.
- Break 1/2 of the angel food cake in to chunks and put in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Mix powdered Jello in a bowl with 2 cups boiling water.
- Add strawberries immediately and stir.
- You may need to use your hands to break up chunks of frozen strawberries.
- Stir in spoonfuls of Cool Whip until well mixed.
- Spoon 1/2 mixture over angel food cake in dish.
- Repeat layers and set in refrigerator for several hours.
- Cut in to squares and serve immediately. (Your squares won't be perfect. The gelatin is not firm.)
Serving Size8 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 77Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 67mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 2gSugar 12gProtein 1g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.
Pin this Dessert for Later
This Angel Food Strawberry Jello Dessert is a mouth full. But it will become a family favorite and one that you make for parties all the time!