These Coconut Rum Cupcakes topped with Coconut Frosting are a super easy dessert to share with friends. Boxed cake mix batter infused with rum and toasted coconut makes this a great recipe for someone who doesn't love to bake but loves cocktails. It's always the perfect time for a boozy cupcake!
These flavorful Coconut Rum Cupcakes are one of my favorite alcohol-infused cupcakes to make! And you'll love them too.
I have the biggest sweet tooth. And I think that cupcakes, with their almost perfect ratio of cake to frosting, are a darn near perfect dessert. And these start with a cake mix.
When you infuse them with liquor, they become an adult-friendly treat that are fun to share with girlfriends.
And, while most of the alcohol gets baked off, and you aren't using that much to begin with, they are most likely safe for your kids to eat. Especially because these only have rum in the cupcakes and not the frosting also.
These cupcakes are moist and full of so much flavor! As we head into the holiday season, these would be a great dessert to make.
The way these flavors work together is magic. It's total comfort food in a cupcake liner.
Plus, if you need to, they can easily be made ahead of time. You can make the cupcakes, and the frosting and then save both until you are ready to frost them.
These Coconut Rum Cupcakes just need a few ingredients to make a decadent dessert. Along with the vanilla boxed cake mix you'll need a little rum and coconut milk, butter, and eggs.
To really amp up the flavor, I also used shredded coconut and coconut extract.
That's coconut flavor x3! It's one of my favorite pairings with rum. Also, make my White Russian with Coconut Rum. Can't stop, won't stop.
For the Coconut Frosting, I use my favorite Buttercream Frosting recipe which uses butter, vegetable shortening, powdered sugar, heavy cream and salt.
Extra flavor is added with vanilla and coconut extracts. And the perfect final garnish is toasted coconut right on top.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners, and set aside.
In a big bowl beat the eggs until fluffy, add coconut milk, coconut extract and rum and set aside.
In another bowl combine the cake mix with shredded coconut. Add butter and mix until it resembles coarse sand.
Slowly incorporate the whipped egg mixture, mixing carefully until everything is well incorporated.
Divide the batter between the cupcake liners and put in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes, bring the temperature down to 325 and bake for 15 to 18 minutes more or until done.
Remove from oven and let cool them cool completely before decorating.
Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. Whip up the vanilla frosting with coconut extract.
Decorate the cupcakes and top with toasted coconut. Here's a simple decorating set that I love!
Frequently Asked Questions
This cupcake recipe uses white rum and I think, when paired with coconut flavor, it's a great option for this recipe. But you could also use spiced rum, which will give it more of a fall feel with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. And to really play up the coconut flavor, you could use coconut rum. But I wouldn't go buy it specifically for this recipe.
Yes, you can start with a boxed cake mix! And you should! It just saves time. And I think it's a great way to get a consistent finished product. They've spent years perfecting their recipes and have done most of the measuring for us. So why not use that to our advantage? A basic cake is such a blank canvas. There are so many things you can do to make them into unique cake mix desserts.
A few more easy recipes you might also enjoy!
- Prosecco Cupcakes Recipe with Prosecco Buttercream
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Southern Comfort and Caramel
- Fireball Cupcakes with Vanilla Cake Mix
- Vodka Infused White Russian Cupcakes
- Chocolate Red Wine Cupcakes from Box Mix
Save this and Pin it for later!
If you want to save this recipe make sure you Pin it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. If you make this recipe make sure to tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Flavorful Coconut Rum Cupcakes
Rum Cupcakes with Coconut
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- ½ cup rum
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup butter
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup butter
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 4 cups confectioners sugar also known as powdered sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Shredded coconut toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners, set aside.
- In a big bowl beat the eggs until fluffy.
- Add coconut milk, coconut extract and rum and set aside.
- In another bowl combine the cake mix with shredded coconut.
- Add butter and mix until it resembles coarse sand.
- Slowly incorporate the whipped eggs, mixing carefully until everything is well incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake liners and put in the oven.
- Bake for 5 minutes, bring the temperature down to 325 and bake for 15 to 18 minutes more or until done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool them cool completely before decorating.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip the butter, vegetable shortening and salt until light and fluffy, around 7 minutes.
- Add half the confectioner’s sugar and whip up until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and half the heavy cream and mix until fluffy.
- Repeat the process, alternating between sugar and cream and whip up for 3 more minutes until it’s light and airy.
- Add coconut extract and mix well.
- Frost cupcakes with the coconut flavored frosting and garnish with toasted coconut.
Hi Sharon! Will this recipe work for a 9x13 pan? I'm making this into a sheet cake. Thanks in advance!