These are the easiest ever patriotic cupcakes! Celebrate America with these festive treats that are so simple even the kids can make them.
These Jello Poke Cupcakes are red, white and blue and full of holiday spirit.
Using boxed cake mix and whipped cream topping, keeps things super simple.
I’m a huge fan of cake mix desserts, and I know this easy 4th of July Cupcakes recipe will make you a fan too!
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I earn from qualifying purchases by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I also participate in affiliate programs for other retailers.
Super cute patriotic cupcakes
4th of July is one of my family’s favorite holidays! Our neighborhood has a parade and a 5K run and there is this overwhelming sense of community.
Our street has a block party where everyone mingles and brings potluck foods to share and the kids enjoy a big blow up water slide.
But this year, it’s all about Patriotic Cupcakes!
This recipe for Fourth of July Cupcakes couldn’t be easier! It uses boxed cake mix to create a yummy white cupcake.
Cherry and Berry Blue Jello add flavor and color to make these festive and fun.
Red, white and blue sprinkles top store-bought whipped cream making this very little work but such a cute dessert idea for Independence Day celebrating.
These are also great cupcakes to serve for Memorial Day, Labor Day, the Olympics and any other time you want to show off your pride for America.
What is a Poke Cupcake
A poke cupcake is just like a poke cake! You simply bake a cupcake then poke holes.
The holes are then filled with another flavoring, like Jello, caramel, fruit preserves, condensed milk, etc.
It’s an easy way to add more flavor to a basic cupcake.
What do I use to poke holes
The easiest thing to use to poke holes in your cupcakes is the end of a wooden spoon.
But anything can work! Cake is soft so you don’t need anything too intense.
A wooden skewer works to create smaller holes. You could even use a straw.
How to make Jello Poke Cupcakes
Jello Poke Cupcakes are fun to make! And they are crazy easy.
While we are using Jello flavors to make these festive and patriotic, you can use any color or flavor you want to suit the occasion.
These easy cupcakes will look really cute on my 4th of July table!
Scroll down for a printable recipe card with full measurements and instructions!
- White cupcakes (just grab a box and make some)
- Blue Jello
- Red Jello
- Boiling water
- Whipped Topping
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
As you’re making your shopping list, be sure to check the boxed cake mix to see what ingredients it requires.
You could make the white cupcakes from scratch but using a cake mix speeds up the whole process! And tastes delicious!
The white cake mix really shows the Jello colors the best and plays up that patriotic color scheme.
Bake your cupcakes per the instructions on the box and let cool.
Use the back of a wooden spoon to poke about 3 holes in each cupcakes.
You can poke all the way to the bottom of the cupcake. That will ensure the color is throughout the cupcake.
Keep in mind Jello can stain so make sure to put them on something to protect your counter for this next step!
I want to make patriotic cupcakes, not a patriotic counter!
Add 1/2 cup of boiling water to the red Jello and 1/2 cup of boiling water to the blue Jello. Stir until Jello is fully dissolved.
Using a spoon, drip the Jello into the holes of the cupcake.
If you are trying to create Fourth of July Cupcakes, you will want to make sure each cupcake has some red and blue.
Make sure to let them rest in the fridge for about 20 minutes to let the Jello set up!
Then spoon on some whipped cream.
What I love about icing cupcakes with whipped cream is how forgiving it is! You can just use the back of a spoon, or more fancy decorating tools.
It looks good every time!
Try to only put one color of Jello into a hole. This will keep the colors pure and not mix together to create purple.
Whipped cream doesn’t do well in warm weather so make sure to ice them right before serving and serve them when they are to be eaten.
That warm July weather could easily make them look a little droopy.
You could always make some Vanilla Buttercream instead, but that has a lot more flavor and takes much more work.
A few red, white and blue sprinkles make these the cutest and easiest cupcakes for 4th of July!
I used white cupcake liners but you could also change it up and do something with a more festive feel.
These easy Jello Poke Cupcakes in patriotic colors are adorable! And they were very little work!
You could make poke cupcakes for a gender reveal, use them to match a color scheme for any type of birthday party and match school colors for a graduation party!
If you want to make a special dessert to celebrate America, save this recipe!
More easy dessert recipes
- Moscow Mule Cupcakes: Moscow Mule Cupcakes are full of citrus flavor and even a little vodka! They start with boxed cake mix and are infused with extra fun!
- Angel Food Cake with Peaches and Cream: This quick and easy dessert takes a fun summer classic and gives it a little twist. Angel Food Cake with Peaches and Cream uses fresh peaches, infused with ginger, to create a dessert that is perfect for parties.
- Dessert Bruschetta with Berries: A simple fruit dessert is good anytime but especially in summer. A mix of fresh berries and basil topped on a store-bought sugar cookie create a Dessert Bruschetta that everyone will crave!
Printable recipe for 4th of July cupcakes
- Batch of white cupcakes (prepared according to box directions)
- 1.5 oz blue jello (half of a small box)
- 1.5 oz red jello (half of a small box)
- 1 cup boiling water, divided
- 8 oz whipped topping
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- Prepare cupcakes according to box directions.
- Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Combine 1/2 cup boiling water with blue Jello in a bowl. Stir until dissolved.
- In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup boiling water with red Jello. Stir until dissolved.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon, poke three holes in each cupcake.
- Carefully spoon Jello mixtures into the holes, trying to only pour one color into each hole.
- Place cupcakes in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow Jello to soak in.
- Frost with whipped topping.
- Add patriotic sprinkles.
Amount Per Serving Calories 91Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 1mgSodium 34mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 0gSugar 8gProtein 1g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.
Pin to save these patriotic cupcakes for later
These quick and easy patriotic cupcakes are colorful and fun! Add these Jello Poke Cupcakes to your holiday menu!