This Easy Cherry Chip Cake Mix Cookies Recipe makes blush pink cookies with the delightful combo of maraschino cherries and chocolate chips in every bite—oh so pretty and perfect to impress your guests on your next party! You only 5 ingredients, and they’re ready in 30 minutes.
Why you’ll love this Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
Don’t these cherry chip cake mix cookies sound delicious?!
Made with cake mix, these cherry cookies are probably one of the easiest desserts you’ll ever make.
The strawberry cake mix base gives these cookies color and highlights the flavor of the maraschino cherries. You’ll also enjoy the medley of textures in each bite—soft and chewy cookies, firm and jammy maraschino cherries, and gooey chocolate chips (especially when served warm).
Related post: Quick and Easy Carrot Cake Mix Cookies
Like other cake mix desserts, cake mix cookies are so simple to make and can be made in tons of flavor variations.
This cherry variety is perfect to serve any time of year. Make a batch for a playdate, sleepover, or dinner party with friends!
Cherry cake mix is ideal for this recipe but it is increasingly hard to find.
I opted to use strawberry cake mix instead which still gives it yummy fruity flavor and when paired with the maraschino cherries, your brain thinks “cherry” instead of strawberry.
You can also use vanilla or yellow cake mix. They’ll still be pretty speckled with maraschino cherries.
The maraschino cherries make these cookies tender and delicate. If you like, you can substitute them for candied cherries which will hold up a little better.
You can use regular sized or mini chocolate chips. I always grab semi-sweet but it’s really up to you.
See the printable recipe card for quantities and full recipe.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Give the cherries a rough chop.
Add the strawberry cake mix, eggs, and vegetable oil to a large bowl, and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms.
Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped cherries.
Use a cookie scoop to drop dough onto a baking sheet, spacing them 3 inches apart.
Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet. Then serve and enjoy!
How to make it your own
Here are ways to customize these easy cherry chocolate chip cookies made with cake mix!
- Texture: Add in some nuts like chopped pecans or walnuts for more texture. Just be sure not to add too much, or else the cookie dough might not be able to hold all the add-ins up.
- Other cake mix: Explore using other flavors of cake mix like vanilla or chocolate!
- Decorate: Dress up your cookies by topping them with sprinkles before baking or drizzling melted chocolate after baking. You can also use white chocolate chips for a different look and taste.
There are no special tools needed to make this recipe at home. However, I do recommend using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to portion the cookie dough. This ensures that they’re all pretty much at the same size, would finish baking at the same time, and would look uniform and pretty on your serving platter.
- Always preheat the oven. If you don’t, they will not cook properly. They will probably come out flat.
- Do not overmix the dough. Otherwise, your cherry chip cookies will turn tough.
- Don’t have a cookie scoop? You can also use measuring spoons or a 1/8 cup measure.
Frequently Asked Questions
The main reason why cookies don’t rise is that the leavening ingredients like baking powder and baking soda are expired and are therefore no longer potent. That’s one risk cake mix cookies spare you from! You no longer have to worry about so many ingredients being expired; you’ll only check the cake mix.
Cakes are lighter and more airy in texture, while cookies are denser and more packed. To convert any cake mix into cookie dough, you just use less liquid.
Be sure to cool the cookies to room temperature before storage, preferably on a cooling rack. Store the cookies in an airtight container and consume them within 5 days.
Alternatively, you can also freeze the unbaked cookie dough balls! Just thaw for at least an hour on the countertop before baking and you’ll have freshly baked cookies every time.
Your friends and family will love these easy cookies! Give these Cherry Chip Cake Mix Cookies a try and let me know what you think!
More cherry recipes
More easy cookie recipes
- Oatmeal Cake Mix Cookies
- Holiday Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies with M&Ms
- Fruit Bruschetta Sugar Cookies
- Mayonnaise Cookies
- Apple Cookies with Butterscotch
- Butterscotch Walnut Cookies
- Sunbutter Cookies
- Banana Pudding Cupcakes using Cake Mix
- Angel Food Cake Cookies
- Caramel Brownie Cookies
Save and pin this recipe for later!
Save this recipe for later by pinning it or clicking the teal heart at the bottom right of the page. For more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Instagram and like my page on Facebook. If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and tag me in your pictures!
Cake Mix Cookies with Cherry and Chocolate Chips
- Mixing bowl
- wire whisk or spatula
- Baking sheet
- cookie scoop or ice cream scoop
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the cherries.
- Add the cake mix, eggs, and oil to a large bowl, and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped cherries.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop dough onto a baking sheet, spacing them 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet. Serve and enjoy!