These Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes are the easiest patriotic cupcakes you could ever make! Celebrate the 4th of July with quick and easy angel food cake cupcakes topped with white frosting and fresh berries. These low-effort but show-stopping cupcakes are guaranteed to be the talk of your holiday party.
Easy Patriotic Cupcake Recipe
If you're looking for red, white and blue cupcake ideas that are so super easy and won't take tons of time, this recipe is for you!
This boxed cake mix recipe is a quick and easy way to show your love of America. These festive angel food cake cupcakes are super simple to make but give you that holiday look you want.
Related post: Patriotic Jello Poke Cupcakes
With just a few ingredients and a few minutes, you can whip up a batch of these easy Fourth of July cupcakes in no time at all.
Don't let complicated recipes keep you from serving a themed dessert at your Memorial Day or Fourth of July party. Celebrate with these red, white and blue patriotic treats!
Using a box of Angel Food cake mix keeps things simple and totally delicious! And all you need to make the batter is a little water.
See the printable recipe card for quantities and the full recipe.
Angel Food Cake Cupcakes
Add the angel food cake mix to a large bowl with the water (the amount will be listed on the back of the box).
Using a hand mixer, beat on low for 30 seconds, then medium for 1 minute.
Add liners to a cupcake tin.
Fill each of the cupcake liners ¾ of the way with cake batter. (I like to use a cookie scoop for this)
Bake the cupcakes for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops are a bit golden.
Let cool completely before decorating.
Make the frosting
To a medium bowl, add the store-bought frosting and whipped topping and stir until combined.
Refrigerate for 1 hour before using.
Prep the fruit
Prepare the berries by rinsing and drying them. Remove the green tops off the strawberries, and slice them into about 4 pieces.
Set the berries aside until the cupcakes are ready for decorating.
Decorate the cupcakes
Add the frosting tip to a piping bag, and fill the bag with frosting.
(This is about the extent of my cake decorating skill. If you are worried about filling a piping bag, try one of Pillsbury's Filled Pastry Bags. They make it SO easy!)
Moving in a clockwise direction, start on one outer edge of the cupcake and move in a circle around the cupcake toward the center of the cupcake.
Fan out the strawberry and place it upside down (pointy end up) into the frosting near the back of the cupcake.
Add 3 blueberries to the top of the cupcake in front of the strawberry slices.
What I love about these angel food cake cupcakes is that you end up with fun patriotic cupcakes that are super easy to decorate based on your skill level.
If you want to make a more decorative presentation of berries and frosting, go for it!
Frequently Asked Questions
To make easy red, white and blue cupcakes that don't have fresh berries, you can use themed sprinkles to top the white frosting. If you have a little more time, you can separate white frosting into 3 sections keep one party white and color the other two sections with blue and red food coloring. Or you can separate the angel food cake cupcake batter into sections and color the batter with food coloring.
Angel food cake is a type of white cake. It's a sponge cake that is made with egg whites to make it fluffy and cloud-like.
Yes, you can use the same amount of milk in place of the water to make the angel food cake boxed mix. It will have a little bit more of a creamy flavor but won't change things up too much.
These Red, White, and Blue Angel Food Cake Cupcakes are the perfect way to show your patriotism this 4th of July! Not only are they delicious, but they also look festive. Celebrate in style without any complicated recipes!
More easy dessert recipes to make red, white and blue
These easy recipes can be modified to make them red, white and blue to suit whatever holiday you want to serve them for.
- This Red, White and Blue Cheesecake Dip for fruit is festive and totally easy to make ahead.
- Fruit Bruschetta on Sugar Cookies - the blueberries and strawberries bring the perfect color scheme to this dessert too.
- Pinata Cupcakes with Sprinkles - use red, white and blue sprinkles.
- Cake Mix Cream Cheese Cookie Dip - use red, white and blue sprinkles.
- Strawberry Jello Cupcakes - Use this method to create individually colored cupcakes using red and blue flavors of Jello.
- Cherry Jello Popcorn - Use red and blue Jello to make this color perfect for your party.
More angel food cake recipes
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake Dessert
- 21 Angel Food Cake Desserts
- Angel Food Pineapple Dump Cake
- Strawberry Short Cake Dump Cake
Save and pin this recipe for later!
Save this recipe for later by pinning it or clicking the teal heart at the bottom right of the page. For more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Instagram and like my page on Facebook. If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and tag me in your pictures!
Angel Food Cake Cupcakes that are Red, White and Blue
- 16 oz angel food cake mix
- 1 ⅓ cup water
- 32 oz vanilla frosting (2 cans)
- 8 oz Whipped Topping
- 2 lbs strawberries (you'll need approximately 36 to make sure each cupcake has one strawberry)
- 18 oz blueberries (you'll need 108 blueberries if you want three berries on each cupcake.)
Angel Food Cake Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners (36 total).
- Add the angel food cake mix from the box and water to a large bowl.
- Beat on low for 30 seconds, then medium for 1 minute.
- Fill each of the cupcake liners ¾ of the way with cake batter.
- Bake the angel food cake cupcakes for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops are a bit golden.
- Let the cupcakes cook completely before decorating.
- Add the two tubs of vanilla frosting and the whipped topping to a medium bowl. Stir until combined. Refrigerate for 1 hour before decorating.
- Rinse and dry the strawberries and blueberries. Cut the green top off the strawberries, and slice into 4 pieces. Set aside until ready to decorate.
- Add a frosting tip to a piping bag, and fill the bag with the frosting.
- Moving in a clockwise direction, start on one outer edge of the cupcake and move in a circle around the cupcake toward the center of the cupcake.
- Fan out one whole sliced strawberry (4 pieces) upside down - pointy end up in the frosting towards the back of the cupcake.
- Arrange 3 blueberries in front.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.