With a tart citrus flavor and a gorgeous color, Grapefruit Juice Cocktails are full of flavor and delicious to sip any time of year. Whether you grab vodka, gin, tequila or whiskey, these easy drinks are always the right choice.
I fell in love with grapefruit juice as a cocktail mixer sort of by accident. One day, my neighbor grabbed some fresh grapefruits and threw together an easy vodka cocktail for us to sip. For our second round, we tried one with rum.
You guys! Grapefruit juice is a versatile cocktail mixer. Whether it’s the dominant flavor of the drink or a supporting player, these cocktails should not be ignored!
Why Grapefruit Juice is a Great Mixer
Grapefruits are rich in Vitamin C and have antioxidant properties that make them good for your health.
But it’s the fresh taste that really makes it a stand out when mixing drinks. While many cocktails use fresh lime juice to add a citrus boost, grapefruit is a little more bitter but adds a zing that can’t be replicated by anything else.
Using fresh fruit is ideal but you can also swap out store-bought juice if need be without too much flavor differentiation.
There are a few flavor differences between pink grapefruit and regular grapefruit. Pink grapefruit tends to be a little sweeter than regular grapefruit and slightly less tart. Plus you’ll get a really pretty blush-colored cocktail.
The flavor differences are due to the fact that pink grapefruit is a hybrid of regular grapefruit and another citrus fruit called pummelo.
But no matter what type of grapefruit juice you use, you’ll end up with a super tasty cocktail.
What Type of Grapefruit Juice to Use
I really enjoyed the grapefruit juice from Trader Joe’s but I’m not sure they make it anymore.
I prefer fresh-squeezed juice. But you can use any store-bought juice you can find. I prefer to use juices found in the refrigerated section rather than the juice aisle.
A fresh-pressed juice will have the most flavor but can be pricey.
And as mentioned above, the difference between pink grapefruit juice and regular will have a slight flavor difference but you can pretty much use them interchangably.
The Best Grapefruit Cocktail Recipes
Embrace the tart flavor and try out one of these tasty drinks ASAP!
Grapefruit Cocktails with Rum
Whether you use white, dark or spiced rum, these drinks with grapefruit juice will tempt your tastebuds.
- How good does a Grapefruit Mojito sound?! With all that fresh mint, this drink is sure to be tasty.
- YUM! I really want to make this Grapefruit Ginger Rum Punch recipe this weekend.
- A Grapefruit Mule sounds like a fantastic idea! (You know how much I love Moscow Mules!)
Grapefruit Cocktails with Tequila
Whether you use Blanco (aka silver or white tequila) or reposado, tequila pairs delightfully well with grapefruit.
- A Grapefruit Margarita is a tart twist on a classic recipe.
- A classic Paloma is super refreshing and the perfect drink to try when you want something a little different than a margarita.
- On that same front, why not try a Ginger Paloma. I flip for ginger in my drinks!
- I’m a BIG fan of cardamom (I wait all year long to make my Cardamom Orange Hot Chocolate) so this Cardamom Tequila cocktail is right up my alley.
Grapefruit Cocktails with Vodka
If you prefer vodka recipes, there are several drinks for you to try.
- A Grapefruit Vokda Tonic is a tart twist on a classic drink recipe.
- This simple Grapefruit Martini has just 3 ingredients and a delicious citrus flavor.
- A tasty Grapefruit Hibiscus Cocktail is a delightful drink to make this spring.
- I love herbs in my cocktails and this Grapefruit Vodka Drink with Rosemary sounds so yummy!
- Don’t save this Love Potion cocktail just for Valentine’s Day. This is tasty enough to sip all year long.
- This Grapefruit Crush drink is infused with thyme simple syrup for a unique taste that I know I would love.
Grapefruit Cocktails with Bourbon or Whiskey
- It doesn’t get much easier than Whiskey and Grapefruit Juice! Just 2 ingredients but tons of flavor.
- If you like tropical flavors, this Spicy Bourbon Cocktail is just right for you.
- I need to try this Bourbon and Grapfruit Cocktail NOW! With honey and rosemary, this one sounds so flavorful.
Grapefruit Juice Cocktails with Gin
- A Greyhound is herbal, tart and has a gorgeous color!
- A Grapefruit Gin and Tonic gets a flavor upgrade with elderflower!
- I’ve never tried a Bee’s Knees cocktail but I have a feeling I would fall in love.
- A Grapefruit and Rosemary Gin Cocktail sounds herbal and amazing!
- Or make Grapefruit Infused Gin to use in any gin cocktail recipe you want to make!
- This Grapefruit Gin cocktail is made extra special by that gin that turns purple in your drink! It looks so cool!
- I’m all over this Pepper Blossom cocktail. It sounds amazing with St. Germain and fresh herbs.
Grapefruit Juice Cocktails with Wine
- A Grapefruit Wine Spritzer is super refreshing and gets a boost of flavor from this flavored spritz sparkling wine.
- I am putting this Grapefruit Rosé Sangria on my “must make” list immediately.
- A little grapefruit soda makes this Red Wine cocktail extra flavorful. It also has tequila!
Other Grapefruit Juice Cocktails to Check Out
- This Grapefruit Lillet Cocktail would be perfect for brunch or a girl’s night in.
- This Purple Passion recipe is full of grape flavor. Plus Kool-Aid!
- Perfect for brunch, holidays or any time, this Prosecco cocktail uses Grapefruit Liqueuer instead of juice.
- Or you can make a Grapefruit Italian Soda (it’s non-alcoholic) and add whatever liquor you want to it. It would make a great base cocktail!
Don’t they just look pretty?! I don’t get too caught up in the cocktail glass, a simple tall or short glass will work for most of these.
Cocktail aficionados might tell you otherwise but I have neither the storage nor money to completely outfit a bar. After your first drink, you won’t care anyway if you have the “right” glassware. So drink up.
How do you prefer your grapefruit juice cocktails?
- This Lemon Pellegrino Vodka Cocktail is just 2 ingredients but packed full of flavor.
- This Margarita Sangria is full of citrus flavor and a summery twist on your favorite wine cocktail.
- A Corpse Reviver No. 2 is full of lemon flavor and is one of my favorite cocktail recipes that most people don’t know about.
- Make a Ginger Tequila Lemonade next time you want a tasty, refreshing cocktail.