Looking for a simple cocktail to enjoy on a warm afternoon? This amazing Grapefruit Vodka Tonic is the answer!
The combination of tart grapefruit juice and bubbly tonic water makes this cocktail light and refreshing! It’s one of the best ways to kick back and relax on a warm spring or summer day.
This delicious vodka drink is one of my favorite easy cocktails to make at home. In just a few simple steps, you’ll have a cold cocktail packed with citrus flavor that is perfect for sipping.
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I earn from qualifying purchases by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I also participate in affiliate programs for other retailers.
Easy Grapefruit Vodka Tonic
Making easy cocktails at home is so much fun! I love taking basic classic cocktails and adding in flavors I really enjoy to come up with a delicious new drink.
The flavors in this simple grapefruit vodka cocktail blend well together. And you only need 3 ingredients.
The citrusy flavor from the grapefruit juice combines perfectly with the vodka and flavorful tonic water. The result is a light and bubbly cocktail you’ll crave.
While I’m sharing a way to make this with a cocktail shaker, you could certainly make one without it. This is the kind of unfussy cocktail that I truly love!
What is tonic water?
Tonic water is a popular cocktail mixer and is usually made from a combination of minerals and the compound quinine, which gives tonic water its distinct bitter taste.
To offset the bitterness of the compound, most tonic water is carbonated and sweetened from sugar or artificial sweeteners.
I have to say, tonic water is not my go-to mixer of choice. But with the addition of the grapefruit juice, it creates a tasty drink.
To me, tonic water is an acquired taste. But it’s a classic ingredient found in most bars. I don’t generally keep it around at home, but many people do.
Tonic water also comes in a variety of flavors so you can change up basic cocktails with ease.
Does tonic water have calories?
Traditional tonic water is sweetened with sugar or nectar, which means it does have some calories. But if you’re worried about drinking your calories, you can purchase diet tonic water.
The diet version is sweetened with artificial sweeteners to reduce or eliminate the calories in the drink completely. This is one of the reasons I prefer using soda water for my mixed drinks. But I know there are people who love the flavor of tonic!
How to make a Vodka Tonic with Grapefruit Juice
This simple vodka tonic recipe is made up mostly of grapefruit juice with a nice serving of vodka enhanced by just a splash of tonic water for taste.
- grapefruit juice
- tonic water
And making this simple vodka grapefruit drink couldn’t be easier! It’s easy to make cold and refreshing summer drink.
- To a cocktail shaker, add the grapefruit juice and vodka.
- Add ice to the shaker until full and shake well.
- Strain the grapefruit vodka cocktail into a short cocktail glass full of fresh ice.
Top with tonic water to add a splash of carbonation and flavor.
Garnish with some small pieces of fresh grapefruit juice.
This cocktail has bright flavors and is super colorful. It’s a great one to serve at brunch or on a warm afternoon. There’s something so refreshing about citrus!
To customize this drink even more, consider adding a garnish of fresh herbs. Something like rosemary would pair really well with the grapefruit.
As you can see from this simple recipe, once you know how to make a basic Vodka Tonic, you can modify them with many other flavors to make them your own.
These 2 to 3 ingredient basic cocktail recipes are great for getting the hang of making cocktails at home. It helps you to learn what flavors you like and how much you like to taste the liquor in your drinks.
There are times when you want to make a more elaborate cocktail, like this 7-Up Pineapple Rum Float, and then there are times when you want to sip something simple. This Grapefruit Vodka Tonic is perfect for those times.
- Add the ice to the cocktail shaker last. That gives it less time to melt and potentially dilute your cocktail.
- Never shake the cocktail with the tonic water as it may explode (carbonation, yo!)
- You can use freshly squeezed grapefruit juice but due to the tartness, you may need to add a little bit of a sweetener. Use simple syrup or agave which both keep really well in the fridge.
More easy cocktail recipes
Cocktails with Vodka
- Fruit Punch Vodka: This Fruit Punch Vodka drink is like an adult-friendly version of your favorite kid’s drink. This one will put a smile on your face for sure.
- Slushie Vodka Sunrise: This Slushie Vodka Sunrise is another great drink idea for when the weather is warm. With just 3 ingredients and some crushed ice, this easy drink idea is refreshing and brightly colored.
- Vodka Mojito: Yes, you can make a Vodka Mojito. It’s an easy drink full of fresh mint and lime flavor and perfect for those of us who don’t love rum. It’s SO tasty!
Shop the post
Grapefruit Vodka Tonic Recipe
- To a cocktail shaker, add grapefruit juice and vodka.
- Add ice, then shake well to chill.
- Strain into a short cocktail glass full of ice.
- Top with tonic water.
- Garnish with a piece of fresh grapefruit
Pin to save for later
Make a Grapefruit Vodka Tonic next time you want a super refreshing drink full of fresh citrus flavor!