These Malibu Rum Cocktails are the perfect addition to any summer drink menu. With its tropical coconut flavor and versatile nature, coconut rum is fantastic in boozy drink recipes that are perfect for sharing with friends and family for any summer party.
Coconut Rum Drinks to make all summer
From Malibu cocktails that are super simple to more unique drink ideas with just a hint of that signature coconut flavor, these cocktail recipes are easy to make and perfect for any occasion.
Whether you're relaxing on the beach, hosting a backyard BBQ, or just looking to quench your thirst with a refreshing drink, we've got you covered with 23 delicious Malibu Rum cocktail recipes.
You know I don't love to buy bottles of flavored liquor for my small home bar. But if you already have one (as many people do) I wanted to give you some tasty things to make with it.
Related: Kahlua and Coconut Rum White Russian
Cocktails with Malibu are best served over ice, in a chilled glass, or blended with ice to make a frozen drink. Adding a colorful straw or garnish like a slice of pineapple, a cherry, or a tropical flower can make the sipping experience even better.
With these delicious and refreshing Malibu rum drinks, you can soak up the sun, the sand, and the surf no matter where you are.
So, grab some Malibu rum, get into the island spirit, and let the good times roll! Cheers to an endless summer full of coconut rum cocktails.
About Malibu Rum
Malibu Rum is a popular liqueur known for its distinctive coconut flavor. It’s an instant way to add tons of coconut flavor and is ridiculously easy-to-drink.
Malibu Rum pairs perfectly with a variety of mixers including pineapple juice, orange juice, cranberry juice, and fizzy sodas like ginger ale and Sprite making for almost an endless amount of drink ideas.
But you can also use it in more classic types of cocktails that aren’t so fruit-forward.
Malibu Rum is available in many different flavors like Original, Pineapple, Mango, Passion Fruit, and more, although we’re mostly focusing on the coconut rum here.
It’s easy to add another layer of flavor in your mixed drinks, and who doesn’t love coconut?! These drinks to make with Malibu are perfect for all your summer parties and beyond!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Malibu Rum is an excellent choice for beginners. Its fruity and sweet flavor is easy to drink and can complement a wide variety of mixers and flavorings.
You typically don't drink Malibu Rum straight. It's meant to be mixed with other ingredients.
Malibu Rum can be classified as a light rum, which means it is clear and has a more delicate taste than dark rum.
Tips for using Malibu Rum in cocktail recipes
1. Balance the flavors: Malibu Rum has a sweet and tropical flavor that pairs well with many different mixers. However, it's important to balance the sweetness with other ingredients like tart citrus juices or bitter spirits.
2. Don't use too much: It can easily overwhelm a cocktail recipe. Stick to the ratio of one part Malibu to two or three parts mixers for a well-balanced cocktail.
3. Experiment with different flavors: While the coconut is the most popular flavor of Malibu Rum, there are many other flavors to choose from, including mango, passion fruit, and pineapple. Experiment with different flavors to create your own unique flavored rum cocktails.
4. Use fresh ingredients: Fresh-squeezed citrus juices and high-quality mixers will make a big difference in the taste of your cocktail. And that’s true whether you are using Malibu Rum or not.
Alternatives to Malibu Rum
While Malibu Rum is a popular choice for creating tropical cocktails, there are other ingredients that can be used to add a coconut flavor to a drink.
Experiment with different ingredients and find the combination that works best for you and your taste preferences!
- Coconut Rum: Malibu is a brand name so you can use any other brand of coconut rum. Some popular brands of coconut rum include Bacardi, Captain Morgan, and Cruzan.
- Coconut Cream: Coconut cream is a thick, sweet ingredient made from coconut milk and sugar. It has a rich, creamy texture that can add depth and complexity to cocktail recipes and give any drink a boost of coconut flavor. I use this in my non-alcoholic Pina Colada Slush recipe.
- Flavored Syrup: If you don’t want to buy a flavored liquor, you can always use a coconut syrup.
- Coconut Water: Coconut water is a refreshing and hydrating ingredient that can be used to add a subtle coconut flavor to cocktails. It pairs well with vodka, gin, and other spirits. But this will change the dynamic of the cocktail a lot so it's not my first choice.
- Coconut Extract: With the super concentrated flavor, coconut extract can add a hit of flavor without changing the rest of the drink too much since you'll only need a few drops. A little goes a long way! I like to do this with vanilla. YUM!
With its versatile yet unique coconut flavor, it's no wonder that it's a popular ingredient for cocktails. These foolproof Malibu rum cocktail recipes are sure to delight your taste buds and impress your friends.
Save and pin these recipes for later!
Save these recipes for later by pinning it or clicking the teal heart at the bottom right of the page. For more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Instagram and like my page on Facebook.
More easy rum cocktails
And if you like tropical flavors in general, check out these delish Tropical Cocktails!