This Spiced Tortilla Chips recipe starts with store-bought tortilla chips that are jazzed up with delicious savory spices. They are the perfect semi-homemade snack for game-day gatherings or impromptu backyard parties. It's a quick appetizer idea and easy even for the laziest of entertainers. (Like me!)
A semi-homemade snack you'll love
Seasoned tortilla chips are going to replace your go-to chips and salsa appetizer. Is that a bold statement? Yes. But trust me.
I love serving tortilla chips and salsa at parties (who doesn't?), but while they are delicious, the same bag of chips and jar of salsa at every get-togethe gets kind of stale.
Related post: Fried Cheerios with Truffle Oil and Parmesan
Instead, you have to whip up this homemade tortilla chips seasoning and make spiced tortilla chips instead. It's just as easy making chip dip, thanks to store-bought tortilla chips and pantry staples like onion and garlic powder, paprika, and chili powder.
Let me show you how to jazz up store-bought tortilla chips. They are a savory snack your guests won't be able to get enough of so make a double batch.
I love that the spices in this seasoning mix are always in my pantry and they can be found at any grocery or big box store.
Paprika adds depth and complements the warm chili powder so well. I like this mix of spices for tortilla chips but you could also use taco seasoning if you prefer.
Olive oil spray can be found with all of the oils in the grocery store. But you can also use a teaspoon of olive oil if that is all you have.
I like to buy a hearty chip for this recipe. But, of course, you can use your favorite brand or even make them from scratch (but I'm slightly afraid of hot oil...)
See the printable recipe card for quantities and full recipe.
How to Make Spiced Tortilla Chips
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
Gently add tortilla chips to a large Ziplock bag.
Spray in a little olive oil.
In a small bowl mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
Add to the bag and shake to coat chips.
Lay the seasoned chips out on a sheet pan in a single layer and bake for about 10 minutes.
Serve in a bowl on their own or with dips and salsa.
You can skip the zipper bag method and just lay the chips out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray with olive oil (or drizzle with oil) and sprinkle on the seasoning generously.
If you choose, you can flip each chip over and do the same thing on the other side. Bake as noted above.
- Spicy - If you want your seasoned tortilla chips a bit on the spicy side, you can add cayenne pepper.
- Smoky - Add cumin and substitute smoked paprika for the regular paprika.
- Kid-friendly - Make them sweet with cinnamon and sugar instead. Churro chips anyone?
- Lime - Give them an extra tang with a squeeze of fresh lime juice once they've come out of the oven.
Here are a few tools that will help you make this recipe perfect on the first try:
- Baking pan
- Misto oil sprayer - this is great if you want to avoid aerosol cans of olive oil.
- Because all tortilla chips have different levels of salt, it's important to do a quick test with the seasoning before baking. Just add some seasoning to a chip and taste. Adjust salt in the seasoning before sprinkling on the rest of the chips.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store in an air-tight container in the pantry or cabinet for up to one week.
In this recipe, I used olive oil spray, but any oil or butter would work. Just remember that every oil has a different smoke point so you'll want to watch them as they bake to make sure you aren't burning them.
This is the best lazy snack ever. They seem so impressive - you made custom tortilla chips! No one has to know that they took you less than 20 minutes.
You probably won't go back to plain after tasting this DIY spiced seasoning for tortilla chips.
More easy snack recipes
- Easy Blue Cheese Potato Chip Nachos with Bacon
- Easy Chicken Cheese Ball Recipe
- Easy White Bean Dip (Vegan) Recipe
- Best Ever Old Bay Chex Mix
- 16 Unique Nacho Recipes to Make for a Party
Save and pin this recipe for later!
Save this recipe for later by pinning it or clicking the teal heart at the bottom right of the page. For more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Instagram and like my page on Facebook. If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and tag me in your pictures!
Seasoned Tortilla Chips Recipe
- Baking sheet
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing bowl
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- olive oil spray
- Tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Gently add tortilla chips to a large ziplock bag.
- Spray in a little spray olive oil.
- In a small bowl mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
- Add the seasoning mix to the bag and shake to coat chips.
- Lay the chips out on a sheet pan in a single layer and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl on their own or with dips and salsa.
Leave a Reply