This delicious and fruity Gin Basil Grapefruit Cocktail recipe is the perfect refreshing grapefruit drink to enjoy this summer. Fresh basil adds a herbal twist to this classic Greyhound cocktail recipe that just takes minutes to mix together!
This Grapefruit Gin Cocktail is super tart and refreshing but still has a hint of sweetness from my homemade basil simple syrup.
It's the new citrus cocktail recipe you didn't know you needed. And you'll sip it all summer long.
A gin cocktail perfect for summer
A Greyhound is a classic gin cocktail recipe that simply mixes fresh grapefruit juice with gin, served over ice. If you give your glass a salted rim you've got a Salty Dog. But if you add a basil-infused simple syrup?
Well, I don't know what it is called. Ha!
I love a good classic cocktail. But a classic cocktail I can put my own unique twist on so I can look fancy without actually putting all that much effort in. And this Greyhound with basil is just that!
Related: Aperol Gin and Tonic
Grapefruit juice and gin can sometimes be a little too tart and strong on their own. over ice sounds like it needs a hint of sweetness, and
By adding basil simple syrup, you get the perfect touch of sweetness and it makes a refreshing and thoroughly enjoyable grapefruit cocktail when served over ice.
You'll be making this Gin Basil Grapefruit Cocktail on repeat all summer long.
Here is what you need to make an easy Basil Grapefruit Cocktail:
I infuse my own basil simple syrup to add a herbal flavor to all my favorite drinks for summer. But, if you don't want this extra step use regular simple syrup and muddle some fresh basil with the grapefruit juice in the cocktail shaker.
To add extra basil flavor to your drink, you can still do it even if you're using basil simple syrup.
I'm really loving Tanqueray gin right now as it works so well in all gin-based drinks, but feel free to reach for your favorite bottle or use what you already have.
See the printable recipe card for quantities and full recipe.
Measure the gin over ice into a cocktail shaker.
Add the grapefruit juice and basil simple syrup.
Strain over ice in a short cocktail glass and garnish with fresh grapefruit slices and fresh basil leaves if you're feeling fancy!
Hint: for extra basil aroma (which will enhance the flavor of basil in your drink as it hits your nose) clap the basil between your palms before garnishing the drink with it.
- Add soda water - this drink is tasty on its own but it is also nice served as a longer drink topped up with soda water to add a little fizz.
- Change the spirit - vodka or tequila blanco would both be delicious in place of the gin in this recipe.
- No alcohol - simply use a 0% gin for a no alcohol version of this grapefruit basil cocktail without losing the botanical flavors from the gin. If you want to serve this to kids and don't feel comfortable giving them the no alcohol versions of spirits, simply combine the fresh grapefruit juice and basil simple syrup and top up with soda water. I love AVEC's Grapefruit & Pomelo mixer as it will also add flavors of vanilla and black pepper to the drink. Yum!
- Make the basil simple syrup ahead so it is cool enough not to melt the ice in the cocktail shaker when you make your drink.
- If you're making a big batch of this grapefruit basil cocktail for a gathering squeeze the grapefruit juice up to a day in advance and keep it in the fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions
The basil is in the infused simple syrup I've used in this cocktail but if you have rosemary or thyme-infused syrup at home both herbs also pair really well with grapefruit and gin. Don't go making a new flavored simple syrup when you already have one you can use!
I like the super tart flavor of fresh grapefruit juice but you can easily use bottled in a pinch. It will instantly make the drink a little sweeter from the added sugars in the juice.
I get it, grapefruit can be quite tart and that may not quite be your thing. Feel free to up the simple syrup a bit, or use red or ruby grapefruit which are a little sweeter than the regular ones.
A few more easy grapefruit recipes you might enjoy
- Easy and Refreshing Grapefruit Vodka Tonic Recipe
- Light and Refreshing Fresh Grapefruit Martini Recipe
- Sparkling Grapefruit Avec Mocktail Recipe with Fresh Thyme
- Easy Grapefruit Sunrise Cocktail Recipe with Vodka
- Grapefruit Spritzer Recipe with Sparkling Wine
Save and Pin this recipe for later
Make sure you don’t lose this recipe by saving it for later! Also, for more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Instagram and like my page on Facebook. If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and tag me in your pictures!
A Refreshing Grapefruit Basil Gin Cocktail Recipe For Summer
- 1 oz fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 oz basil simple syrup
- 1.5 oz gin
- Add the grapefruit juice, basil simple syrup and gin to a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain over fresh ice in a short cocktail glass.
Leave a Reply