I love to use essential oils throughout my home! And I’m always looking for ways to add enjoyment to the few minutes I get to myself, here and there, throughout the day. I’ve made shower discs in the past but have never come up with the perfect recipe. The shower discs you make at home end up crumbling apart before you even get them to the shower or leave an odd residue on the floor. One thing is for sure, if the thing I am using to try to help me relieve stress leaves something that I need to clean up after, it’s totally going to stress me out! This lava stone aroma diffuser is a simple way to add essential oils to your shower and not have to clean up after it!
I follow a lot of essential oil focused accounts on Instagram including some that sell jewelry. Lava stone is a porous stone, used in a lot of aromatherapy jewelry. And one day, a light bulb went off in my head! I bought some lava stone and decided to make an aroma diffuser for my shower! Supplies:
*This post contains affiliate links which means if you click and/or buy from my link, I make a little money.
• Thin cotton thread or fishing line
• Essential oils. Good ones for the shower are eucalyptus, Breathe (a respiratory blend), Whisper (an earthly blend with patchouli that will make you feel like a goddess) and anything citrus. What I love about this aroma diffuser is that you can choose what you need in that moment. You can add the oils right before you shower so it’s exactly what you need. Some of the oils help with ailments (eucalyptus is great for a stuffy nose!) but maybe you just want your shower to be a little more special in the morning or after your work out. Something citrusy will lift your mood and let you really enjoy that time with your thoughts. Instructions:
• Cut a length of string that is, when looped and knotted, long enough to fit over your shower head but doesn’t hang too far below. (my photos show the string longer than I like it. If you keep it higher, less water hits the stone and keeps it from getting diluted too quickly.)
• Slide on a lava stone
• Knot the ends and slide over your shower head
• Before your shower, add a few drops of you favorite essential oil.
One thing to note! My youngest son used my aroma diffuser one night during his shower and started screaming for me. He had been under it (no doubt investigating…) and a drop of water, with the essential oil blend) landed in his mouth. He was immediately worried that he had poisoned himself. He hadn’t. I explained to him that it could have been really painful if it had gotten in his eye, etc. Now, he doesn’t fiddle with it and takes a normal shower and we don’t have problems. Be sure to manage the use with your kids and get them to understand that it can hurt them if not used properly! I keep a few of my favorite essential oils in the bathroom so it’s easy for me to add them to the lava stone right before my shower.
My husband got out of the shower one morning and said, “Why is our shower wearing a necklace?” And it made me laugh. A girl likes to accessorize, right? My husband is not a fan of strong smells and this didn’t bother him at all. If the string starts to look a little funky you can always swap it out for a new one. And if you want to reuse the lava stone for another smell, just rinse it with warm, lightly soapy water. This DIY aroma diffuser is an easy way to make your shower just a little more special (without a ton of work!)
Looking for other essential oil ideas? Check out these other posts from Cupcakes and Cutlery!