Whether you’re hosting a party or just relaxing after a busy day, you can’t go wrong with Tequila Mixed Drinks! From fruity drinks that transport you to the beach to spicy cocktails packed with flavor, you’ll love these amazing (and easy) tequila cocktail recipes.
When it comes to tequila cocktails, margaritas are a popular choice. But there are so many other refreshing drinks you can make with a bottle of tequila!
Why Make Drinks with Tequila
Unlike vodka recipes, drinks made with tequila have a more distinct flavor. If you aren’t a big fan of the taste, chances are you won’t like many of the drinks on this list.
But if you do love tequila (I’m a BIG fan of Blanco), there are so many ways you can mix it into yummy cocktails!
There are certain ingredients that pair really well with tequila. Lime, grapefruit and spice (like from Tajin or jalapeno) are always delicious.
But I think you’ll find from this list that you can get creative and mix yummy cocktails with things like red wine and ginger beer.
In order to make the most of your small home bar, I like to remind you of those simple, classic 2 and 3-ingredient cocktails that you may have forgotten about.
But you can take these easy mixed drink ideas and customize them by adding more flavors (like with muddled herbs, bitters, or flavored simple syrups) or mixing a few complementary flavors).
Browse this list of drinks with tequila and try some new ones out this weekend!
Related post: The Best Tequila for Margaritas
What is a Good Mix with Tequila
There are so many amazing mixers that pair wel with tequila, which means you have your pick of delicious drink recipes you can make!
When you grab your next bottle, add these mixers to your shopping cart so you can experiment with different flavor combinations at home.
- Soda – Mixing alcohol with soda is a classic combination, and tequila is no exception. Try mixing your tequila with cola, or lemon-lime soda (like Sprite) and see what you think. Usually, a squeeze of fresh citrus finishes it off nicely.
- Sparkling Water – Something fizzy like sparkling water, club soda, seltzer, or sparkling mineral water makes a serving of tequila totally refreshing and drinkable. Again, a little lime, lemon or orange adds the perfect hit of flavor. And don’t miss out on flavored sparkling waters! YUM!
- Ginger beer – Another easy way to add some fizziness and falvor to your cocktail is with the help of ginger beer. It’s slightly sweet and has a zingy ginger flavor that is really nice with tequila.
- Fruit juice – Create a fruity cocktail with your tequila by mixing the spirit with some fruit juice, like pineapple, grapefruit, or orange juice. Or look for a tropical blend that will instantly give you more layers of flavor while keeping the drink easy to make.
- Fresh herbs – Add a hint of freshness to your next tequila cocktail with the help of fresh herbs. Muddled mint or fresh basil leaves are a great way to enhance the flavor of your drink.
There's nothing quite like a refreshing Margarita on a hot day, and this collection of recipes has something for everyone. Whether you're looking for a classic Margarita or something more exotic, you're sure to find a recipe that will instantly transport you to warmer climes. So gather up your ingredients and let's get mixing!
What Type of Tequila Should I Use in My Cocktail
There are three main types of tequila to choose from, silver (or Blanco), reposado, and Anejo. There can also be blends of these types like Joven which is Blanco with a little bit of reposado.
Learn more about Joven in this Ginger Tequila Lemonade post!
Silver or Blanco Tequila
Silver tequila is bottled right after distillation and has a crisp flavor. It’s usually clear and has the least amount of oak flavor.
Resposado is aged in oak barrels for up to 12 months, giving it a more dynamic flavor and a light golden color.
Anejo is aged for more than 12 months, giving a fuller flavor, darker gold color and is best for sipping (similar to a whiskey).
Use What You Prefer
Which tequila you use is based mostly on your flavor preferences. Find a tequila recipe you like on this list, and you can pretty much use any type of tequila interchangeably.
It will affect the flavor a bit but if you are using something you enjoy the taste of, that will hopefully never be wrong!
With most of the recipes on this list, there will be some variations listed.
- Spicy – You can make just about anything spicy by using muddled serrano or jalapeno. Or you can add some chile liqueur.
- Fruity – Change up the fruit or fruit juice called out in the recipe. Or better yet, blend a few different flavors together to create something truly unique.
- Blended – Make any of these recipes “frozen” by blending up the ingredients with ice in a high-powered blender. The ice may dilute the flavors a bit so don’t be afraid to add a little bit of extra.
If you want to sip a few drinks and not end up with a lampshade on your head, just go light on the tequila!
Frequently Asked Questions
My usual is Tequila and Soda. It’s so simple to make and super refreshing.
A Paloma! With fresh grapefruit juice, the drink is a pretty pink color and has a zingy taste that you’ll love.
Yes, and you should! Tequila and Coke is another super easy mixed drink idea with tequila that you’ll wonder why you didn’t try sooner!
This Red Wine Tequila cocktail with grapefruit is so tasty and really interesting. This is a fun one to serve to friends.
- Sugar, salt or Tajin, you can’t go wrong with a rimmed glass. Here are 3 Ways to Rim a Glass. Try it on your next drink.
- Serve tequila mixed drinks at this Chicks And Salsa-themed girl’s night in.
- Not the right time for tequila cocktails? Try these Margarita Cupcakes infused with a little tequila instead!
- Make a Chelada! It uses Mexican beer and is a simple recipe you may fall in love with.
- Make a Papel Picado inspired straw flag to adorn your mixed drinks with tequila.