Some links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I earn from qualifying purchases by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I also participate in affiliate programs for other retailers. I was sent a bottle of Camarena Tequila to make this recipe with.
Originally posted on October 3, 2015. Updated with better images and recipe.
Summer calls for a Strawberry Basil Margarita
How to Make a Strawberry Basil Margarita
Scroll down to the end of the post for a printable recipe card with full measurements and instructions.
- fresh lime juice
- fresh basil
- Strawberry Simple Syrup
What tequila should I use
Because of the strong strawberry flavor, you can get away with using any tequila you want. But I prefer to use one that I know I love when the flavor shines through.
My two favorite brands are Casamigos and DeLeon. I always use the blanco but you will get a little bit of a different flavor with something more aged.
The Camarena was delightful. It is easy to find in the grocery store and is a great price point. I would have used it when I updated these photos but I ran out!
First, make this Strawberry Simple Syrup.
I made the strawberry simple syrup the day before I wanted to make these Strawberry Basil Margaritas so I knew it would be nice and cold.
I’m not a fan of sweet drinks. I always cut the amount of sugar I use for a simple syrup. I used about 3/4 cups of sugar on this last batch and next time I would use 1/4 – 1/2 cup of sugar.
The strawberry flavor is right on though! It’s tastes just like fresh strawberries.
How to make the fruity margarita
Place the basil in the bottom of a cocktail shaker and add tequila.
Use the back of a spoon (or muddler – or end of a metal ice cream scooper like I used to use) to mash the basil leaves into the tequila.
Add ice to the shaker, then add the strawberry simple syrup and lime juice.
Strain into a low ball glass over ice.
Garnish with sliced strawberries and/or basil.
The basil flavor is subtle and is a wonderful partner for the sweet strawberry flavor.
More Margaritas To Try
- Blended Cucumber Margarita
- Pitcher Margaritas
- Best Frozen Margarita
- Spicy Serrano Margarita
- Light Mezcal Margaritas from Celebrations at Home
- Coconut Margaritas from Thoughtfully Simple
More Strawberry Cocktails to Try
Strawberry Basil Margarita
Strawberry Simple Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 sliced strawberries
- Strawberry Simple Syrup
- Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water and 5 sliced strawberries in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Cool the syrup, then strain the liquid through a sieve or cheesecloth, pressing the strawberries to extract all liquid.
- Let cool completely before using in the Strawberry Basil Margarita
- Strawberry Basil Margarita
- To a cocktail shaker, add the basil and tequila.
- Muddle basil leaves to release their oils.
- Fill the shaker with ice and add strawberry simple syrup and fresh lime juice
- Shake well and strain into a low ball glass over ice.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries or basil.