Some links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I earn from qualifying purchases by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I also participate in affiliate programs for other retailers. I was sent a bottle of Camarena Tequila to make this recipe with.
Originally posted on October 3, 2015. Updated with better images and recipe.
Summer calls for a Strawberry Basil Margarita
How to Make a Strawberry Basil Margarita
Scroll down to the end of the post for a printable recipe card with full measurements and instructions.
- fresh lime juice
- fresh basil
- Strawberry Simple Syrup
What tequila should I use
Because of the strong strawberry flavor, you can get away with using any tequila you want. But I prefer to use one that I know I love when the flavor shines through.
My two favorite brands are Casamigos and DeLeon. I always use the blanco but you will get a little bit of a different flavor with something more aged.
The Camarena was delightful. It is easy to find in the grocery store and is a great price point. I would have used it when I updated these photos but I ran out!
First, make this Strawberry Simple Syrup.
I made the strawberry simple syrup the day before I wanted to make these Strawberry Basil Margaritas so I knew it would be nice and cold.
I’m not a fan of sweet drinks. I always cut the amount of sugar I use for a simple syrup. I used about 3/4 cups of sugar on this last batch and next time I would use 1/4 – 1/2 cup of sugar.
The strawberry flavor is right on though! It’s tastes just like fresh strawberries.
How to make the fruity margarita
Place the basil in the bottom of a cocktail shaker and add tequila.
Use the back of a spoon (or muddler – or end of a metal ice cream scooper like I used to use) to mash the basil leaves into the tequila.
Add ice to the shaker, then add the strawberry simple syrup and lime juice.
Strain into a low ball glass over ice.
Garnish with sliced strawberries and/or basil.
The basil flavor is subtle and is a wonderful partner for the sweet strawberry flavor.
More Margaritas To Try
- Blended Cucumber Margarita
- Pitcher Margaritas
- Best Frozen Margarita
- Spicy Serrano Margarita
- Light Mezcal Margaritas from Celebrations at Home
- Coconut Margaritas from Thoughtfully Simple
More Strawberry Cocktails to Try
- 1-1/2 oz. tequila
- 1/2 cup strawberry simple syrup, *see recipe below
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped roughly
- Sliced strawberries for garnish
Strawberry Simple Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 sliced strawberries
Strawberry Simple Syrup
- Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water and 5 sliced strawberries in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Cool the syrup, then strain the liquid through a sieve or cheesecloth, pressing the strawberries to extract all liquid.
- Let cool completely before using in the Strawberry Basil Margarita
Strawberry Basil Margarita
- To a cocktail shaker, add the basil and tequila.
- Muddle basil leaves to release their oils.
- Fill the shaker with ice and add strawberry simple syrup and fresh lime juice
- Shake well and strain into a low ball glass over ice.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries or basil.
Want to skip the simple syrup? Try muddling the strawberries with the basil. Or blend the berries in a blender before adding to the drink.
Want more basil flavor? Add more basil leaves or create a strawberry basil simple syrup.
Serving Size1 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 1577Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 19mgCarbohydrates 373gFiber 6gSugar 363gProtein 2g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.