This easy Tequila Mule recipe, with ginger beer and fresh lime, is quick to make and super refreshing! Get the party started with this easy-to-make tequila cocktail that is sure to be the hit of the summer.
This Mexican Mule with tequila is super refreshing and will likely be your new favorite cocktail to sip out of a frosty copper mug.
A Perfect Summer Moscow Mule Recipe with Tequila
This Tequila Moscow Mule is a south-of-the-border twist of the classic Moscow Mule cocktail.
As a big fan of Moscow Mule recipes, I decided that swapping out the vodka for a tequila version made perfect, delicious, sense.
The college years really do everyone a disservice by making you think all tequila is gross and will wreck you but once I figured out that the right bottle actually tastes really good, it opened up a whole new world of cocktails for me.
Related: Tequila and Coke Cocktail
I didn't realize that I loved tequila until well into my 30's. Then I needed to use it in ALL my cocktails. I love a basic Tequila and Soda on a nice warm day! Or a spicy Serrano Margarita.
It's super easy to make a Mexican Mule right in a copper mug and it's ready to sip in just minutes. Aren't tequila cocktails the BEST!?
To make a Moscow Mule with Tequila, you need just three ingredients. And it is so refreshing and full of flavor!
Scroll down to the end of the post for a printable recipe card with full measurements and more detailed instructions.
You don't need to buy a super expensive bottle of tequila to make this yummy summer cocktail idea. Use whatever you have on hand. I've really been enjoying Cazadores tequila lately!
How to make a Mexican Mule
To a copper mug, add ice.
Then add fresh lime juice.
I really love using this small glass measuring cup. I can never remember how much my jiggers hold so this measuring cup keeps things super simple.
I use it to make pretty much all my cocktails. You read more about my favorite bar tools here.
Top with ginger beer.
Copper mugs can hold a lot of liquid but when making any kind of mule, including a mule with tequila, you don't want to use more than 3 oz. of ginger beer.
The flavor can be overpowering. Don't be tempted to fill the cup to the brim.
A quick garnish with a lime slice and you're good to go.
It's a really unfussy cocktail I promise. It's nice and refreshing. The way a cocktail should be.
While I love this refreshing cocktail in summer, it really is great all year long. It's a little more of a drink than my standard tequila and soda. But still super easy.
- Spicy - Muddle some fresh serrano or jalapeno into the copper mug with lime juice to give this yummy Tequila Mule a spicy kick! (See my Tequila Mule with Jalapeno).
- Citrus - Give it another layer of flavor by adding fresh orange juice.
- Classic - If you don't love tequila, you can make an original Mule instead or use any other liquor you can think of. This basic recipe is super versatile.
- Mocktail - Skip the booze and make a Moscow Mule Mocktail instead!
- Sweeter - Want it sweeter? Just add ½ oz. of store-bought simple syrup, honey or this cheater simple syrup.
- Boozier - Add a shot of Cointreau, Triple Sec or other orange liqueur.
Frequently Asked Questions
I prefer to use a Blanco (also sometimes called white or silver) tequila. You can use Reposado if you prefer. You can read more about the different types of tequila but it's usually a personal preference.
Two brands I love are Casamigos Blanco and Deleon Platinum.
Reed's is one of my favorite brands of ginger beer and is available just about everywhere. Reed's is strong. It's like ginger ale, but not as sweet and with more bite. The Q Ginger Beer I used in this recipe was nice but a little bit sweeter than I typically like but really tasty.
I like to use copper mugs to serve these, but they also work fine in a pint glass or low ball. But a copper mug really does help to keep your cocktail nice and frosty. Literally, your hand will freeze if you don't hold it by the handle.
What to Serve it With
A Mexican Mule is the perfect cocktail to go along with any Mexican-themed menu. If you found this recipe on Pinterest, you may have seen this image. This was from my original post all the way back in 2013!
I love to serve them for a fun girl's night party I call: Chicks and Salsa.
They pair well with Chicken Enchilada casserole and Churro Cream Cheese Fruit Dip.
This delicious Tequila Mule Recipe is easy to make and a great summer cocktail idea!
More easy Moscow Mule recipes
Need more tequila drink ideas? Delish.com has 20+ tequila drink recipes for you to browse. Cheers!
- Don't miss this Strawberry Mint Moscow Mule. It's fruity, refreshing and a great spring cocktail idea.
- Make this Bourbon Moscow Mule right now. Whiskey adds a whole new dimension of flavor!
- This Green Moscow Mule is not only perfect for St. Patrick's Day but it's also super flavorful and great to sip any time!
- There's never a wrong time to enjoy a Blueberry Moscow Mule! With bright, berry flavor, this is a cocktail you need to try!
- A Blood Orange Moscow Mule is a citrus-forward drink that has that ginger bite you'll love.
Save and pin this recipe for later!
Save this recipe for later by pinning it or clicking the teal heart at the bottom right of the page. For more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Instagram and like my page on Facebook. If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and tag me in your pictures!
Mexican Mule Recipe with Tequila
- 1 ½ ounces Tequila
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2-3 ounces Ginger Beer
- Over a glass of ice, add the fresh lime juice.
- Add your favorite tequila and top with ginger beer.
- Garnish with a lime slice.
Originally posted September 25, 2013. Updated all the images and gave more detailed info on the recipe.
Carrie Harris says
It may only be 10:00 a.m., but this sounds amazing!
Sharon Garofalow says
I drink a lot of virgin mules. :) The flavor is something I totally crave but I also have to get my mom on, you know?
Galit Breen says
Yum. Just yum!
This sounds totes delish.
Sharon Garofalow says
It totes is. :)
I had my first Moscow Mule in San Francisco during Alt. I had another at a fiesta on Saturday night. This Mexican Mule would've been perfect. I much prefer tequila to vodka.
Sharon Garofalow says
I think they are all quite delicious. :)
LOVE this! Can't wait to try it :)
Sharon Garofalow says