Rolled in pecans and made with cheddar and blue cheeses, this is the Best Cheese Ball Recipe. Ever. If you need easy appetizers for your party this recipe is for you!
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I earn from qualifying purchases by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I also participate in affiliate programs for other retailers.
This post was originally published Nov. 11, 2013. It has since been updated to include better directions.
A delicious party appetizer
Whether you’re looking for the perfect appetizer for game day or hosting during the holidays, this classic cheese ball recipe is the my go-to.
It’s super easy to make ahead. Plus, if you’re gathering away from home, it’s easy to transport.
And it’s especially easy to shovel in your mouth via cracker.
With just a few ingredients, you can create a creamy and flavorful snack that is unfussy and totally delicious.
*If you love snack foods like I do, sign up for my newsletter and get a 5 recipe mini-cookbook full of quick and easy and appetizer recipes!
How to make a classic cheese ball appetizer
Scroll down to the end of the post for a printable recipe card with full measurements and more detailed instructions.
- Blue cheese
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cream cheese
- Green onions
- Lemon juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Wheat Thins for serving
I think the blue cheese makes this dish for me but I understand that there are some people who think it tastes like feet so if that is you, just leave it out.
The green onions and lemon juice really punch up the flavor so don’t skip it! I mean, if you seriously didn’t have them at home and you still wanted a cheese ball, you could still make it.
But if you can help it, make sure you have all of these things.
The pecans add a delicious flavor and texture to coat the outside, but if you or any guests have a nut allergy, you can serve it without them. I’ve made this both ways and it’s scrumptious any way you slice it.
You can serve this cheese ball with any type of cracker or even bread. In my opinion, the best flavor pairing is Wheat Thins. Fight me.
Make sure your cream cheese is very soft to make things easy to mix.
In a large bowl, add the cream cheese, chopped green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled blue cheese and lemon juice.
Then just mush it all together. I used a fork. No hand mixer needed.
Once everything is mixed, lay a piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Scoop the cheese ball mixture onto that piece and then wrap it, shaping it into a sphere.
Put it in the refrigerator to firm up for at least an hour.
When ready to serve, remove the cheddar cheese ball from the fridge and roll it in chopped pecans.
You can do this by putting the pecans in a shallow plate or bowl and rolling the ball in it, or using your hands to press them all around it.
How to serve
As I mentioned above, this cheese ball should be served with Wheat Thins. Because, yum.
You can also serve it alongside slices of french bread, other types of crackers or even vegetables.
Because of the dairy in the cream cheese, a cheese ball shouldn’t be left out at a party for more than 2 hours.
If you are hoping to have it available for longer, consider splitting the recipe into two and serving them at different times.
You can make a cheese ball a few days before you need it, but it will depend on how fresh your ingredients are.
Store it in an air-tight container until you are ready to serve. This is also how you can store leftovers. There probably won’t be any. But you should hope that there is. Because it makes a great breakfast…
This blue cheese and cheddar cheese ball is perfect to serve at any type of party.
With champagne on New Year’s Eve, for a football party or even a holiday get together, it’s an easy recipe to make again and again.
More appetizer recipes
- These Dried Beef Roll-Ups with cream cheese and horseradish are unique and always a crowd-pleaser.
- Hot Artichoke Dip is cheesy and flavorful and a great recipe to serve at any gathering.
- Change up your favorite party mix by making this Old Bay Chex Mix!
More Lists of Appetizer Recipes
So many tasty ideas in each of these posts!
- These 20 Quick and Easy Appetizer Recipes are perfect for football parties.
- Quick Dinner Party Appetizers to check out to serve to welcome your guests.
- Need a binge night? Make one of these 20 Appetizer Ideas for a Night of Netflix.
- While I usually peruse these Dessert Dips when I’m watching a reality TV marathon, they also work well for parties.
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, (softened)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 TBSP green onion, chopped
- 1 TBSP Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Finely chopped pecans, optional
- Wheat Thins
- In a medium bowl, combine softened cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled blue cheese, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and green onions until well blended.
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Scoop cheese ball mixture onto the wrap.
- Bring up the plastic wrap around the mixture to form into a ball.
- Put into the fridge to firm up for an hour.
- When ready to serve, remove from fridge and roll in chopped pecans.
- Serve with Wheat Thins, sliced bread, other crackers and/or vegetables.
You can leave off the pecans if you have a food allergy.
Serving Size1 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 231Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 40mgSodium 277mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 11g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.
Pin to save the Best Cheese Ball Recipe for later.