Choose a few of these easy to make appetizers to enjoy instead of dinner on your next Netflix night in! A Netflix marathon is the perfect way to spend a night at home with the family.
Appetizers as a meal are my favorite! This list includes super simple recipes for sweet and savory finger foods and snacks that your whole family will love. They're quick to make and fun to eat while catching up with your favorite shows on Netflix.
This was originally posted on January 31, 2017. I've updated it to include a few more appetizer recipes and other helpful information.
With a teen and preteen in the house, we really have to be intentional with family time. I thought the kids would resist a movie night but they actually really enjoy it.
You can choose a movie or create a binge-watching party scenario with a Netflix series (a few of my favorites are below!)
And did you know that Netflix can sing to your child on their birthday? It's not right for my teens, but toddlers will love it!
How To Organize an Appetizer Night
Choose the recipes
Sometimes we just do store-bought snacks (or my caramel corn) and candy to keep things super easy. But once in a while, we do an appetizer night.
This list of easy-to-make appetizer ideas is perfect for creating a fun family night in. Instead of making a full meal, we make a few quick and easy appetizers. Mix and match a few of the recipes in the list below to create a delicious finger food menu!
Plus, if you sign up for my newsletter and get a 5 recipe mini-cookbook full of quick and easy snack and appetizer recipes!
I like to make 3-5 different recipes for our nights in. And I try to make sure I have a good variety of items that are both filling and that I know everybody will like.
If I feel like I need a little bit more food, I will fill in with fresh veggies or chips. And this is an easy idea to turn into a potluck if you are inviting multiple families over.
How to Serve Netflix Night Appetizers
Movie night in is not a formal affair so you don't have to get fancy with serving. I like to keep everything in the kitchen and have the family fill up their plates as needed.
We usually eat on TV Trays (or these lap trays!) so that we don't have to balance plates on our laps. These work especially great because we don't have a coffee table so this allows everyone to have a drink with them too. (A closed lid cup works perfectly on a TV Tray!)
More serving ideas:
- This tray grabs on to the arm of the couch making it sturdy and easy to reach.
- A snack tray with little bowls is great for a charcuterie or cheese board.
- These white platters are great for serving easy-to-make appetizers for a party, or you can give one to each member of your family to use as their own personal serving platter.
What to Watch on Netflix
My Netflix list is all over the place. I have multiple shows going at most times. And I rarely watch full movies. I just grab a cozy throw blanket and get ready for a few hours of TV watching.
*And don't forget to check out my post on Holiday Movies on Netflix that are perfect to watch while wrapping presents!
Here's what I've watched and loved lately.
• Lucifer - It's dark, funny and 5 seasons. With crazy story lines and lots of humor, this crime show is one you'll get hooked on. This is a show I want to pay attention to and not one that you just have on in the background while you're doing something else.
• Shameless - OBSESSED! There is a ton of sex and nudity in this show which is a bit much. But the characters are so well written that you'll find yourself rooting for them as you follow this family's crappy life living in their south side neighborhood of Chicago. There are 10 seasons and I'm so sad I'm almost finished.
• Wanted - The seasons are short (just 6 episodes) but Wanted is a fun one. It's an Australian show about 2 random women who witness a murder and then are framed for it. They are an unlikely pair that go on the run and you find out about each of their lives along the way. There's a bit of humor, drama and action, and has 3 seasons.
• Workin' Moms - A new season of Workin' Moms finally released and this is on my list to watch when I'm done with Shameless. It's a Canadian-based show about working moms and all that life throws at them. It's really funny and most women will relate to at least parts of the characters.
• The Wedding Coach - This is one of those shows to just have on in the background when you are focused on something else. A gal helps couples get through the stress of planning their weddings so they can enjoy every minute. If you like parties and event planning, you'll love this show.
• Outer Banks - I finished Outer Banks a few months ago and it was really good! It has a younger cast (high school-aged) so I wasn't sure I would like it. But I was hooked. There is murder, intrigue, double-crossing, and a little bit of love. It's a good one for summer that may make you want to plan a trip to North Carolina.
• Sweet Tooth - My 12-year-old just finished Sweet Tooth and I happened to catch a little bit of it. It's not a show I would have set out to watch but I have now added it to my list. It's a crazy story about a virus and half-animal kids. But it's also about family and belonging and so much more.
20 Appetizer Ideas For a Night of Netflix
There's nothing I like more than a night on the couch with my family. But sometimes we don't want to make a full meal. A fun menu of appetizers that we can eat with our fingers is the perfect thing! So grab the TV trays and make a few of these yummy apps!
Deep Fried Cheese Bites
Fried Cheese Bites are everything appetizers should be. They’re warm, cheesy, and gooey. These bites are also super simple!
Four Cheese Macaroni Bites Appetizer
Turn a family favorite into a couch friendly finger food with these cheesy Macaroni Bites. Homemade mac & cheese is the key to these tasty treats. I'm sure the kids will love these! I know I will!
Nachos really should be their own food group. Try this fun take on nachos by using potato chips and baked potato toppings.
Easy Spinach Dip Cheese Sticks
How do you eat fried appetizers and feel good about it? You add a veggie like we did we these spinach dip cheese sticks. That makes it a healthy meal, right?
Pepperoni Pizza Pockets
Homemade pizza pockets are a delicious alternative to greasy takeout. Make dough and sauce from scratch or make it easy with store bought pie crust and a jar of sauce.
The Best Easy Taco Pizza Recipe
Taco and pizza is a match made in heaven. It’s perfect for as a meal or an appetizer, served hot or cold. Prepare it ahead of time so you have time for one more episode.
Spicy Ranch Chicken Wings
If your family loves chicken wings as mine does, they'll love these fall off the bone Spicy Ranch Chicken Wings.
Baked Southwest Eggrolls
All of the ingredients for these eggrolls are pantry staples which means they’re perfect for an impromptu movie night when you can’t be bothered to make a trip to the store.
Bite Size Chicken and Waffles Appetizer
Chicken sausage sandwiched between 2 mini waffles makes this breakfast in a bite. Serve with maple syrup for dipping! It's the perfect sweet and salty treat!
Loaded Mashed Potato Balls Recipe
Leftover mashed potatoes, gooey cheese, and the perfect blend of seasonings make these potato balls a winner! My potato loving family would love these!
Mexican Tortilla Rollups
Tortilla roll ups are the perfect quick bite when you don’t feel like cooking or it’s too hot to turn on the oven. Whip up these mexican flavored rolls and toss them in the fridge so they’re ready when the show starts.
Tortilla Wrapped Bratwursts with Beer Mustard
This unique mix of flavors is super delicious! Feel free to customize it with your favorite brat and whatever cheese you have on hand.
Tater tots are my son’s favorite food. Mixing tater tots and cheeseburgers makes everyone happy. Cheeseburger tots are on the table in minutes and devoured even quicker.
Buffalo Chicken Roll Up Appetizers
These rolls are made with frozen chicken tenders making them a quick and easy appetizer (or meal). If you’re expecting a crowd, make them ahead of time and stick them in the fridge so you’re not stuck in the kitchen.
Bacon Jalapeno Guacamole Cheeseburger Bites with Chipotle Mayo
Who doesn’t love tiny food? These cheeseburger bites are worth the extra steps to make the toppings. Hoard them for yourself or impress your friends and family with your kitchen skills.
A big bowl of this cobb dip is the perfect appetizer for a quiet night in front of the TV or a big football party. The mix of traditional cobb flavors pairs perfectly with chips, pretzels, veggies or anything else you can think of!
Greek Tzatziki Hummus
Healthy and delicious, this cross between tzatziki and hummus will make you feel like you’ve been transported to Greece. It's perfect with fresh, crunchy cucumbers!
Deviled Egg Recipe
While I don't love Deviled Eggs my family sure does. Here, she keeps it classic and simple for a fun finger food idea.
Bacon, Brie and Pear Flatbreads
Smoky bacon pairs with juicy pairs on these flatbreads. Using naan as a base means you can be watching your favorite show even sooner.
Almond Joy Chex Mix
This savory sweet recipe is the perfect snack for a crowd of all ages. It’s filled with chocolaty, almondy, coconutty goodness!
- Dried Beef Roll-Ups: These are a family favorite and full of creamy flavor, with a horseradish kick!
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese: You get all that sweet and salty goodness in one bite!
- Baked Salami Chips are easy to make and have that saltiness that you want when binge-watching.
- Artichoke Dip Sliders take your favorite dip and make it into a cute little sandwich!
- Caramel Banana Bites: This sweet treat is a delicious way to end your appetizer feast!
Need something a little more hearty? Check out these Sheet Pan Dinner Recipes!
Do you ever do an appetizer night? Let me know what your favorite menu is in the comments!
Thanks for the ideas shared and all are delicious.
Sharon Garofalow says
If I could only eat appetizers for every meal I'd be so happy!
I love this post! I'm all about the Netflix and Chill! Thanks so much for including my bite size chicken and waffles! ;)
Sharon Garofalow says
They sound delicious!