Choose a few of these easy to make appetizers to enjoy instead of dinner on your next Netflix night in! A Netflix marathon is the perfect way to spend a night at home with the family.
Appetizers as a meal are my favorite! This list includes super simple recipes for sweet and savory finger foods and snacks that your whole family will love. They’re quick to make and fun to eat while catching up with your favorite shows on Netflix.
This was originally posted on January 31, 2017. I’ve updated it to include a few more appetizer recipes and other helpful information.
With a teen and preteen in the house, we really have to be intentional with family time. I thought the kids would resist a movie night but they actually really enjoy it.
You can choose a movie or create a binge-watching party scenario with a Netflix series (a few of my favorites are below!)
And did you know that Netflix can sing to your child on their birthday? It’s not right for my teens, but toddlers will love it!
How To Organize an Appetizer Night
Choose the recipes
This list of easy-to-make appetizer ideas is perfect for creating a fun family night in. Instead of making a full meal, we make a few quick and easy appetizers. Mix and match a few of the recipes in the list below to create a delicious finger food menu!
Plus, if you sign up for my newsletter and get a 5 recipe mini-cookbook full of quick and easy snack and appetizer recipes!
I like to make 3-5 different recipes for our nights in. And I try to make sure I have a good variety of items that are both filling and that I know everybody will like.
If I feel like I need a little bit more food, I will fill in with fresh veggies or chips. And this is an easy idea to turn into a potluck if you are inviting multiple families over.
How to Serve Netflix Night Appetizers
Movie night in is not a formal affair so you don’t have to get fancy with serving. I like to keep everything in the kitchen and have the family fill up their plates as needed.
We usually eat on TV Trays (or these lap trays!) so that we don’t have to balance plates on our laps. These work especially great because we don’t have a coffee table so this allows everyone to have a drink with them too. (A closed lid cup works perfectly on a TV Tray!)
More serving ideas:
- This tray grabs on to the arm of the couch making it sturdy and easy to reach.
- A snack tray with little bowls is great for a charcuterie or cheese board.
- These white platters are great for serving easy-to-make appetizers for a party, or you can give one to each member of your family to use as their own personal serving platter.
What to Watch on Netflix
My Netflix list is all over the place. I have multiple shows going at most times. And I rarely watch full movies. I just grab a cozy throw blanket and get ready for a few hours of TV watching.
*And don’t forget to check out my post on Holiday Movies on Netflix that are perfect to watch while wrapping presents!
Here’s what I’ve watched and loved lately.
• Lucifer – It’s dark, funny and 5 seasons. With crazy story lines and lots of humor, this crime show is one you’ll get hooked on. This is a show I want to pay attention to and not one that you just have on in the background while you’re doing something else.
• Shameless – OBSESSED! There is a ton of sex and nudity in this show which is a bit much. But the characters are so well written that you’ll find yourself rooting for them as you follow this family’s crappy life living in their south side neighborhood of Chicago. There are 10 seasons and I’m so sad I’m almost finished.
• Wanted – The seasons are short (just 6 episodes) but Wanted is a fun one. It’s an Australian show about 2 random women who witness a murder and then are framed for it. They are an unlikely pair that go on the run and you find out about each of their lives along the way. There’s a bit of humor, drama and action, and has 3 seasons.
• Workin’ Moms – A new season of Workin’ Moms finally released and this is on my list to watch when I’m done with Shameless. It’s a Canadian-based show about working moms and all that life throws at them. It’s really funny and most women will relate to at least parts of the characters.
• The Wedding Coach – This is one of those shows to just have on in the background when you are focused on something else. A gal helps couples get through the stress of planning their weddings so they can enjoy every minute. If you like parties and event planning, you’ll love this show.
• Outer Banks – I finished Outer Banks a few months ago and it was really good! It has a younger cast (high school-aged) so I wasn’t sure I would like it. But I was hooked. There is murder, intrigue, double-crossing, and a little bit of love. It’s a good one for summer that may make you want to plan a trip to North Carolina.
• Sweet Tooth – My 12-year-old just finished Sweet Tooth and I happened to catch a little bit of it. It’s not a show I would have set out to watch but I have now added it to my list. It’s a crazy story about a virus and half-animal kids. But it’s also about family and belonging and so much more.
- Dried Beef Roll-Ups: These are a family favorite and full of creamy flavor, with a horseradish kick!
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese: You get all that sweet and salty goodness in one bite!
- Baked Salami Chips are easy to make and have that saltiness that you want when binge-watching.
- Artichoke Dip Sliders take your favorite dip and make it into a cute little sandwich!
- Caramel Banana Bites: This sweet treat is a delicious way to end your appetizer feast!
Do you ever do an appetizer night? Let me know what your favorite menu is in the comments!