This Spiced Rum Aperol Cocktail recipe is perfect for any summer party or get-together. The tropical flavors of the spiced rum and pineapple juice pair beautifully with the slightly bitter Aperol. Best of all, it takes just minutes to make!
A delicious Aperol cocktail that isn't a spritz
A tropical cocktail with Aperol might not be at the top of your mind but I want to assure you that it should be.
This combination of spiced rum, Aperol, and pineapple juice creates a fruity cocktail with just the right amount of sweetness.
So if you have a bottle of Aperol on your home bar for making an Aperol Spritz, here's another easy cocktail recipe you can use it for.
Related post: Refreshing Aperol Margarita Recipe
This rum and Aperol cocktail is perfect for enjoying when the weather starts to warm up and you're starting to think of upcoming vacations.
Plus, it's incredibly easy to make this 5 ingredient recipe. Just mix and serve!
Aperol has a pretty distinct flavor so there isn't the perfect substitution. Since I like to keep my home bar small, I don't suggest using Campari (unless you already have it).
If you don't have Aperol, I would try to use something you might already have on hand, like Triple Sec or Cointreau (which are also orange flavored) but add a few drops of bitters to give it more complexity.
You can garnish this cocktail with a slice of pineapple, a sprig of mint, a lime wedge or a tiny paper umbrella. Totally up to you.
Spiced rum is a little bit different than dark rum, but you can use it if that's all you have. Spiced rum has warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg that give it tons of flavor and makes this drink feel you should be sipping it on an island.
See the printable recipe card below for the quantities and the full recipe.
In a cocktail shaker, add the Aperol.
I like this shaker because it's larger and you can easily make more than one cocktail at a time! Plus the lid has a measuring cup which I always forget about.
Add the spiced rum.
I love this measuring cup because you can see the numbers easily from above.
Add the pineapple juice to the shaker.
Add lime juice.
Add simple syrup.
Add ice and shake well.
Strain over fresh ice in a short glass.
- Skip the pineapple juice and use another tropical juice blend. Adding a little passion fruit juice would be delish!
- If you don't want to use spiced rum you can try it with whiskey, tequila or vodka. You'll love some of those spice flavors though.
- Taste it before serving so you can adjust the flavors by using a cocktail straw. Here's how: Insert a cocktail straw into the liquid, and then put your finger over the top of it to cause suction. Just make sure to put the drink side into your mouth before taking your finger off!
Frequently Asked Questions
Spiced rum pairs well with many different types of liquor and mixers. Some of the most popular are pineapple juice, cranberry juice, and ginger beer. Spiced rum instantly adds a tropical vibe to cocktails, in my opinion, so any tropical flavors like lime, passion fruit, mango and pineapple would pair well.
Aperol is a type of Italian bitter liqueuer that is made from oranges and rhubarb. It is used in many cocktails and can be found at most liquor stores.
Aperol has a bittersweet orange flavor. While it's full of sugar, it's not overly sweet. It's perfect in cocktails with sparkling wine and club soda since it provides a super refreshing flavor that is great to sip on a warm day.
This simple rum Aperol cocktail recipe will make you feel like you're sitting among tiki torches on a secluded island, even if you're just in your own backyard.
Pin to save this recipe for later
Make sure you don’t lose this recipe by saving it for later! Also, for more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, and Instagram, and like my page on Facebook. If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and tag me in your pictures!
More easy Aperol cocktail recipes
- Refreshing Aperol Gin and Tonic Recipe
- Watermelon Vodka Cocktail with Aperol Recipe
- Aperol Soda Recipe for A Refreshing Happy Hour
More spiced rum cocktail recipes
- Spiced Rum Daiquiri
- Spiced Rum and Wine Cocktail Recipe (this one also tastes tropical and is perfect for a pool day!)
- Spiced Pear Cocktail with Rum for Fall
Tropical Cocktail with Aperol and Spiced Rum
- ¼ oz simple syrup
- 1 oz Aperol
- 1 oz spiced rum
- 1 oz pineapple juice
- ½ oz lime juice
- In a cocktail shaker add Aperol, spiced rum, pineapple, lime, and simple syrup.
- Add ice and shake well.
- Strain over fresh ice in a short glass.
- Garnish with a lime slice and serve.
Leave a Reply