I love essential oils! And I’m always looking for ways to add enjoyment to the few minutes I get to myself, here and there, throughout the day. I usually use a DIY oil diffuser. But this lava stone aroma diffuser is a simple way to add essential oils to your shower and not have to clean up after it! I’ve made shower discs in the past but they always end up crumbling apart or leave an odd residue on the floor. This diffuser is so easy to make and makes the shower smell amazing!
I only share things that I love and think you will love too. This post contains affiliate links, which means, if you click and/or buy from my link, I am compensated.
I follow a lot of essential oil focused accounts on Instagram including some that sell jewelry. They are a great place to get ideas for oil blends to diffuse, but also to learn about the benefits of the oils. A lot of the jewelry uses Lava stone. Lava is a great diffuser stone because it’s porous. And one day, a light bulb went off in my head! I bought some lava stone and decided to make a shower diffuser.
• Lava stones A lot of lava stones are round. I really like this flat version because I think it holds the oils better.
• Thin cotton thread or fishing line
• Scissors These are my favorite ever scissors for crafting. They are super sharp and feel so nice in your hand!
• Essential oils Good ones for the shower are eucalyptus, Breathe (a respiratory blend), Whisper (an earthly blend with patchouli that will make you feel like a goddess) and anything citrus. And of course lavender. Duh. What I love about essential oil shower diffuser is that you can choose what your body or mind needs at that moment. You can add the oils right before you shower so it’s exactly the vibe you want. Some of the oils help with ailments (eucalyptus is great for a stuffy nose!) but maybe you just want your shower to be a little more special in the morning or after your work out. Something citrusy will lift your mood and let you really enjoy that time with your thoughts.
• Cut a length of string that is, when looped and knotted, long enough to fit over your shower head but doesn’t hang too far below. (my photos show the string longer than I like it. If you keep it higher, less water hits the stone and keeps it from getting diluted too quickly.)
• Slide on a lava stone
• Knot the ends and slide over your shower head
• Before your shower, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil.
One thing to note! My youngest son used my shower diffuser one night and started screaming for me. He had been under it (no doubt investigating…) and a drop of water, with the essential oil blend, landed in his mouth. He was immediately worried that he had poisoned himself. He hadn’t.
I explained to him that it could have been really painful if it had gotten in his eye, etc. Now, he doesn’t fiddle with it and takes a normal shower and we don’t have problems. Be sure to manage the use with your kids and get them to understand that it can hurt them if not used properly! Peppermint in the eye is no joke!
You’ll Love This Shower Diffuser!
My husband got out of the shower one morning and said, “Why is our shower wearing a necklace?” And it made me laugh. A girl likes to accessorize, right? My husband is not a fan of strong smells and this didn’t bother him at all. If the string starts to look a little funky you can always swap it out for a new one. And if you want to reuse the lava stone for another smell, just rinse it with warm, lightly soapy water. This DIY aroma diffuser is an easy way to make your shower just a little more special (without a ton of work!)
Make Your Own Essential Oil Shower Diffuser
Looking for other essential oil ideas? Check out these other posts from Cupcakes and Cutlery!