This easy homemade White Chocolate Hot Chocolate recipe is a fun alternative to traditional cocoa. With a touch of cinnamon, this warm drink is perfect to serve to your kids in winter and all the cold weather holiday parties. And it's ready to sip in under 20 minutes.
Let's Make This Easy White Chocolate Hot Chocolate Recipe
This White Hot Chocolate Recipe is warm, creamy, and has just a touch of cinnamon. It's the perfect way to pretend like there is a chill in the air even if the weather where you live isn't that cold (hello, from California!).
My go-to hot drink is always spiced coffee. But a few times a year I like to switch it up and basically sip on something with a huge number of calories. It's kind of like drinking dessert.
Related: Orange Cardamom Hot Chocolate Recipe
My kids have always loved Hot Chocolate but I thought it might be fun to try a White Hot Chocolate this year.
It turns out, not a lot of people have had White Chocolate Hot Chocolate before either! Because this is unique, it's great to serve at holiday parties!
While they do sell White Hot Chocolate mixes, it's really easy to make your own at home!
If you have never tried a White Hot Cocoa Recipe this should be the year! Make it for Christmas morning for the whole family. Your kids will love this easy and creamy warm drink!
Create a Hot Chocolate Charcuterie Board but serve this easy hot drink recipe insead!
- half and half
- white chocolate chips (mini chips are ideal)
- nutmeg (fresh nutmeg makes a HUGE difference!)
- cinnamon stick
- Simple Syrup (if needed)
The only sweetness in this drink is from the white chocolate chips, so when they're done melting into the rest of the ingredients, you will want to give it a taste and see if you need to add any more sweetness.
I like simple syrup (or you can save time by using store-bought) because it is already a liquid and will mix in well.
You could use sugar, you'll just want to make sure that you stir it in and give it enough time to dissolve.
How to Make White Chocolate Hot Cocoa
1. Mix Ingredients
In a saucepan combine half and half, white chocolate chips, cinnamon stick, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Stir on low to medium heat until white chocolate chips are melted completely.
3. Add Vanilla
Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Stir to mix well with the other white chocolate cocoa ingredients.
4. Remove Cinnamon Stick
Remove the cinnamon stick. Now that it has infused the creamy mixture with flavor, you can discard the actual spice.
To serve this White Chocolate Hot Chocolate, pour into glass mugs.
Garnish with whipped topping or marshmallows and a touch of nutmeg. Or just add a little whipped cream and a few extra white chocolate chips.
And don't forget to serve it with a little bit of Christmas cheer. Even if it isn't near Christmas.
What I love about this recipe is the spice infused-half and half. The flavor isn't overwhelming but cuts the creaminess a little bit. And cinnamon and nutmeg are just so tasty together.
Don't skip adding a little extra nutmeg on top. I love the way that is the first thing you smell as you bring the cup to your nose.
I suggest trying out the recipe for White Hot Cocoa as is first and then modifying it from there! There really isn't a wrong way to make this!
- Add ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract or pop in a candy cane.
- Add some strawberry puree or syrup.
- Add a shot of espresso.
- Add a shot of whiskey, spiced rum, or Kahlua.
- Use maple syrup to sweeten instead of agave.
- Make it with coconut milk.
- Add a drizzle of caramel.
- Add ½ teaspoon of almond extract.
Mini white chocolate chips work the best because they will melt faster. I don't think they are very common, though so regular-sized white chocolate chips will work fine too!
If you can't find white chocolate chips, you can look for baking white chocolate and chop it up so it melts faster.
Frequently Asked Questions
Carrots. JUST KIDDING! I couldn’t help myself. Of course, it has white chocolate in it. It also has lots of half and half. That’s what makes it so creamy! Half and half is a mix of milk and heavy cream so it the perfect base for this yummy, chocolate-y drink.
White Hot Chocolate is super creamy, thanks to the half and half, but also has vanilla notes. It's rich like regular cocoa but doesn't have that chocolate flavor. If you know what white chocolate tastes like, then you know what this drink will taste like.
White chocolate is made from cocoa butter, sugar and milk powder. It's sweet and creamy with a luscious mouth feel and rich flavor.
White Chocolate Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ cup white chocolate chips mini chips are ideal
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Simple Syrup if needed
- In a saucepan combine half and half, white chocolate chips, cinnamon stick, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Stir on low to medium heat until white chocolate chips are melted completely.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- Pour into serving glass or mugs.
- Garnish with whipped topping or marshmallows and a dash of cinnamon.
- Use a spoon to taste test the White Hot Chocolate and add simple syrup if it needs to be sweeter.
Pin this Hot Chocolate with White Chocolate for Later
More Easy Warm Drink Recipes
- This easy Hot Apple Cider recipe is one of my favorite cold-weather drinks!
- Crockpot Mulled Spiced Cider is a great recipe to make for a crowd.
- Make a Peppermint Chocolate Egg Cream this holiday! It's a fun, festive drink idea.
- Try a Green Tea Hot Toddy next time you need a nightcap.
Leave a Reply