I’ve never been a fan of traditional Christmas music. But I am a total music lover! So for the holidays, I put together this modern Christmas songs playlist. We listen to it while we trim our tree every year!
Living in Califorina, we don’t get to put up our Christmas tree too early. With our warm, dry weather, the trees can dry out too much and become a total fire hazard.
Since we don’t get to have our tree up for very long, we really make decorating it an extra special time. And a good playlist can really amp up the festive vibes.
Music Makes Tree Decorating More Fun
We bring home the tree and turn it into a fun family night where we have hot apple cider and listen to Christmas music while trimming the tree.
Growing up, it was one of the holiday activities that I looked forward to most each season (aside from the candy bar trains!).
I love introducing kids to the music that I love that I know they will like too.
Modern Christmas Songs Playlist
Like making funny family Christmas cards each year, this Hell Yes, Please ornament has become part of our holiday traditions. When this ornament comes out of the box, my kids get to say “hell.”
It’s so funny. They think they are being super rebellious. I don’t have the heart to tell them it’s one of the more tame curse words.
This playlist is mostly modern songs but there are a few oldies on there too. There are some songs that are just classic and were totally ahead of their time.
Plus, I really love music that sounds like it’s from the 80’s so my love of these songs makes sense.
Play it via Spotify.
It’s just shy of 2 hours and is upbeat and fun. Of course, we listen to some more traditional stuff throughout the holidays, but this is usually on repeat.
Along with these indie Christmas songs, we also love Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass’ Christmas album and, of course, Burl Ives! And there is no better holiday album than Dolly Parton and Kenny Roger’s Once Upon a Christmas.
It’s so much fun to put those albums on and dance around.
Do you have a favorite Christmas music playlist? Share it in the comments!
And be sure to check out my all-time favorite playlist that is really long and I listen to ALL the time when I’m cooking or having a chill night at home. It’s called Beach at Sunset but that’s just the vibe.
- Make Candy Bar Trains – These are easier for kids to make than gingerbread houses and are just as sweet!
- Homemade Woven Ornaments – are a fun way to make custom ornaments. It’s an easy activity to do with the kids with supplies you can get from your local craft store.
- Best ever Caramel Corn Recipe – this is THE recipe! It’s baked and super crunchy. It’s a holiday snack we always serve leading up to Christmas.
- 50+ Christmas Brunch Ideas – these tasty recipes are perfect for your family on Christmas morning.
- Hallmark Christmas Movie Drinking Game – When the tree is done, it’s movie-watching time!
- Unique Adult Christmas Party Ideas – Want to host a holiday party? Check out these fun ideas.