If you’re a bourbon lover you’re going to love this Bourbon Sidecar recipe! The classic Sidecar cocktail is given a yummy twist with a splash of Bourbon while still keeping it an elegant, sophisticated, citrus-forward cocktail that takes just minutes to mix and serve. The perfect after-dinner drink!
This simple Sidecar recipe with Bourbon is the perfect cocktail for Bourbon lovers! With just 4-ingredients and with the perfect balance of flavors it is the perfect citrusy bourbon cocktail for almost any occasion.
Why You’ll Love This Sidecar Cocktail
A Classic Sidecar is usually made with four ingredients: brandy (or cognac if you’re feeling fancy), Triple Sec (or another citrus liquor), lemon juice and a touch of simple syrup to balance things out.
It is a strong, smooth cocktail with deep flavors which is great after dinner.
It seemed obvious to me that a Bourbon Sidecar would be even better, as bourbon has the same rich, warming flavor as a good brandy, but with even more aromatic flavor notes that go so well with citrus.
Related: Honey Lemon Whiskey Sour (No Egg!)
I love to share classic cocktail ideas with you because they are often super simple with just a few ingredients. I always try to show you how to keep your home bar small so I like to show you versions that don’t require you to go buy something new.
Here, we’re skipping the brandy in favor of bourbon which I think you are most likely to have on your bar.
This is a pretty bourbon-forward drink so you should like the flavor of bourbon. It’s tart but not super sweet which I love!
If you’ve never tried a Sidecar it’s a good short citrusy drink. But if you love bourbon or whiskey, I just know you’re going to love this version!
Here’s what you need to make the Bourbon Sidecar recipe:
- triple sec
- lemon juice
- simple syrup, store-bought or homemade
Use good bourbon you’d happily drink neat (on it’s own) as you can really taste the liquor in this simple recipe.
Any brand of Triple Sec or orange liqueur is fine. You can also use Cointreau if that is what you happen to have a bottle of. Grand Marnier also works.
See the printable recipe card for quantities and full recipe.
How to Make a Sidecar with Bourbon
Fill a cocktail shaker with the bourbon, triple sec, lemon juice and simple syrup.
Add ice and shake well. Strain into a cocktail glass.
I’m using a Nic and Nora glass. I think they are so cute and they are smaller so perfect for holding classic drinks which do not have a ton of ingredients and don’t need to be served with ice.
Garnish with edible dried flowers, if desired.
You can also use a lemon peel or wedge. Feel free to get as creative as you want with the garnish. Or skip it altogether.
- Switch out the spirit – switch the bourbon for brandy and you’ve made a Classic Sidecar. Use gin instead and you’ve made a White Lady. Vodka would also be a great pick! You can even make a Tequila Sidecar (but use anejo which has more flavor).
- Use a flavored syrup – you can add a little bit of warmth and a little something extra to your sidecar by using my Vanilla Cinnamon Simple Syrup. Or even a dash of vanilla extract. Vanilla is so good with bourbon.
Frequently Asked Questions
A classic sidecar has a sugar rim, so feel free to add one of those. And as this is a citrus-forward cocktail, I find a lemon or even orange twist added to the glass is a nice touch.
I like to serve these in a chilled coupe glass (sit some ice in it while you mix your drink if you don’t have room in the freezer) but a champagne saucer or martini glass would also work – use any cocktail glass really that is short, and does not need ice for the cocktail to fit!
More easy Bourbon cocktail recipes
- Refreshing Bourbon Mule Recipe (Kentucky Mule)
- Dairy Free Bourbon Milk Punch Recipe
- Simple Bourbon Champagne Cocktail Recipe with Blueberries
- Bourbon and Cranberry Cocktail Recipe for the Holidays
- Simple Apple Bourbon Cocktail Recipe
- Cranberry Old Fashioned
- Best Bourbon Cocktails for Thanksgiving
- Bourbon Christmas Cocktails
Save and Pin this recipe for later!
Make sure you don’t lose this recipe by saving it for later! Also, for more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Instagram and like my page on Facebook. If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and tag me in your pictures!
A sophisticated Bourbon Sidecar for Bourbon lovers!
- Fill a cocktail shaker with the bourbon, triple sec, lemon juice and simple syrup.
- Add ice and shake well.
- Strain into a cocktail glass.