This easy Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe is my kind of meal! It's a super simple crockpot dinner that is healthy and totally delicious! From start to finish, the prep on this meal was about 5 minutes. Wahoo! Just set it and forget it.
High-five to Harmony Books for sponsoring this easy slow-cooker soup post!
This Chicken Fajita Soup is perfect for fall!
My family loves fajitas and this soup recipe is a great way to get all those flavors but in a new way. Best of all, very little effort is needed to put this easy slow cooker soup together. It's a great weeknight dinner idea!
The spices used to make this Chicken Fajita Soup made it super flavorful, but not spicy, which was perfect for the kids.
I strongly suggest using the lower fat cream cheese they recommend as an options to make it creamy and satisfying!
Related post: Dump and Stir Tortilla Soup
This Chicken Fajita Soup recipe came out of the Trim Healthy Mama's Trim Healthy Table cookbook.
What I love about the recipes is that they give you several variations to help you meet your diet goals. So whether you're trying to slim down or just want to eat a little healthier, each recipe tells you how to tailor it to you.
- boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- chicken broth
- Ro-Tel-style diced tomatoes and green chiles
- fire-roasted tomatoes
- frozen small cut pepper and onion mix
- black pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder or garlic cloves, minced
- chili powder
- chipotle powder optional for an extra-awesome kick
- less fat cream cheese, optional (but I highly recommend!)
- Lime wedges, cilantro, cheddar cheese and sour cream, optional for serving
Two types of canned tomatoes were used to help give the soup a depth of flavor. I LOVED that! Instead of having you do all that work, they use what's available to keep prep easy.
You can use fresh peppers and onions if you prefer. But if you don't have the time to chop them yourself, frozen is great!
How to make Chicken Fajita Soup in the Slow Cooker
To a slow cooker, add the bell pepper and onion mix.
Place the chicken breasts on top of the peppers then top with the fire-roasted tomatoes and tomatoes with green chile.
Add the chili powder, chipotle powder, black pepper, salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix well.
Add the chicken stock and stir once more.
Cover and cook on hight for 6 hours.
Remove the chicken to a plate and shred it with two forks before returning it to the soup.
If adding the cream cheese
If adding the cream cheese, remove 1 cup of the hot broth and place it in a blender with the cream cheese.
Blend until smooth, then stir it into the Chicken Fajita Soup in the crockpot.
Depending on your dietary needs, you can serve this fajita soup anyway you'd like!
Top it with cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, and/or cilantro with a squeeze of lime.
My whole family loved this chicken fajita soup! The chicken was so tender and made this feel hearty. The spices and peppers added the perfect flavor. But the cream cheese makes is satisfying.
Also the recipe made a lot! Which means, I'll be freezing some for a later meal! SCORE! But, of course, we could also enjoy the leftovers another night.
I mean, this was SO easy! I was able to get it started and get right back to momming.
Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook
The book features not only quick and easy recipes that your family will love, but also great information on how to set yourself up health success.
Whatever health goal you may have, whether it's loosing weight, maintaining or like me, wanting to eat in an overall healthful way, this book is perfect for it.
My favorite part of this book is how they explain for you how to make and serve each recipe depending on your goals. Like, for this easy slow cooker soup, they suggest adding a piece of sprouted-grain toast or topping it with cheese and avocado.
The recipes in Trim Healthy Mama's Trim Healthy Table are designed to help families live healthier lives and trim down too.
This book is EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR! The focus is on whole, unprocessed foods (sayonara Pop Tarts) and looks at the whole family and each individual's dietary need so you only have to cook one meal!
There are all different kinds of recipes in the book including single serving meals (perfect for your lunch!). But with 18 kids between the two sisters, they understand feeding large families, or freezing a portion for an even easier night later in the month.
The tips and tricks shared throughout the book are great for helping you save time in the kitchen. I fell head over heels for these gals when I saw frozen, chopped vegetables on the ingredients list. That's my jam.
And while I made this in my trusty crockpot, they also share tips on using other methods like a pressure cooker.
Trim Healthy Mama's Trim Healthy Table
Written by Pearl Barrett and Serene Allison
Published by Harmony Books
Thank you for supporting brands, like Harmony Books, who enable me to create fun content, for you and your family, through partnerships and/or compensation!
More easy dinner ideas
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Eden Isle (my favorite!)
- Teriyaki Ground Turkey Stir Fry
- How to Jazz up a Grocery Store Rotisserie Chicken
- Hot Salami Sandwiches
- Sheet Pan Nachos
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
- 1 Crockpot
- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, thawed if frozen
- 2 quarts chicken broth with an optional 4 tablespoon Just Gelatin or Integral Collagen
- 1 10 oz can Ro-Tel-style diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 14.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 10-12 ounce bag frozen small-cut seasoning blend Sharon's notes: peppers, onions and celery or some variation
- 1 teaspoon Mineral Salt Sharon's notes: pink Himalayan is a good one!
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon chipotle powder optional for an extra-awesome kick
- 1 8 oz package ⅓ less fat cream cheese optional - but I suggest it! This soup is super yummy when it has a bit of creaminess!
- Lime wedge, cilantro, cheddar cheese, sour cream or avocado optional, for serving
- Add the pepper and onion mix, chicken breasts, fire-roasted tomatoes, Ro-Tel style tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and chipotle powder in a slow cooker bowl.
- Top with chicken stock.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, remove the chicken and shred on a plate with 2 forks.
- Return to pot, stir well to combine.
- If using cream cheese, remove 1 cup of the hot broth and place it in a blender with the cream cheese.
- Blend until smooth, then stir into the crockpot.
- Serve with a squirt of lime and top with whatever toppings you'd like.
Reprinted from Trim Healthy Mama's Trim Healthy Table. Copyright©2017 by Pearl P. Barrett and Serene C. Allison. Published by Harmony Books, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC.
Okay, I want to totally make this tonight. I was going to make chicken tacos but this looks WAY easier and more delicious. (PS I have that same crockpot!)
Sharon Garofalow says
It's SOOOO easy! Def add the cream cheese and serve with lots of cilantro!!!