This is your new favorite chicken dish that you’ve never heard of! This creamy chicken is what I would always have my mom make for my special occasion meals growing up. It’s total comfort food, the type you dream about. I used to think it was tons of work and that’s why we only had it once in a while. Then when I moved out and made it for myself I was totally surprised at how easy it was! Now I know that it’s a great easy dinner recipe to make for the family!
I remember calling my mom after making this on my own the first time and asking her why we didn’t have this more often. I mean, this was my birthday meal! The meal I thought that was so elaborate and time-consuming that we could only have it on the very best of days. But it was all a lie!
Chicken Eden Isle is what we call this recipe. I don’t know how my mom came across this recipe all I know is that it is baked chicken with cream of chicken soup goodness.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Eden Isle
This yummy chicken recipe is a few more steps than I would usually take on a weeknight dinner (because you have to bake something first and then make a sauce) but is so worth it once in a while. And my mom did answer my question, by the way. Her excuse was that with all the cream of chicken soup, cream cheese and sour cream, this recipe isn’t something you would want to eat all the time. I totally get it. But trust me, you’ll want this weekly!
Ingredient for this creamy chicken bake:
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 10.5 oz. can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2.5 oz. Jar Dried Beef
- 8 oz. Sour Cream
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese (cubed)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Don’t be afraid of dried beef. If you’ve never seen my Dried Beef Roll-Ups appetizer recipe, you really should take a look. I bet you didn’t even know that you were missing out. Chicken with dried beef is delicious! You can find dried beef in the canned meat aisle, usually near the chili. It’s super salty.
Some people recommend rinsing each slice with water to take away some of the saltiness. But I am far too lazy for that. Just don’t add more salt before you taste the finished dish. And maybe pour yourself an extra glass of water to be safe. I truly can’t believe how simple this recipe is. It’s white, creamy chicken magic. And a lot of that has to do with the dried beef.
Steps to make Chicken Eden Isle:
• In a baking dish, top the chicken breasts with dried beef slices. There is no wrong amount of beef to use. It’s always one of my family’s favorite parts so I like to load it up with beef.
• Top the chicken with dried beef with cream of chicken soup. Yes, this is super gloppy. Just use a spoon and try to spread it around as much as possible. It won’t be even but it doesn’t matter.
• Top with black pepper
• Bake, covered, in a 325 degree oven for an hour.
• Uncover and bake for 20 minutes longer until the chicken is tender.
• When fully cooked through, remove chicken to a plate and keep warm.
• Add all the juices and drippings from the roasting pan to a saucepan.
• Add the sour cream, and cream cheese.
• Heat until melted, stirrying constantly. It will be a bit chunky. You can use a whisk to try to make it as smooth as possible, but with the chunks from the cream of chicken soup, and the roasted chicken from the pan, it won’t ever be all the way smooth.
I’ve always eaten Chicken Eden Isle (also sometimes known as Chicken Breast Eden Isle) over rice. FROZEN RICE IS MY FAVORITE THING EVER! Since I’ve already used 2 pans to make this meal, ain’t no way I’m using a third to make rice. These are so easy to pop in the microwave. It’s one of my top dinner hacks for busy moms!
Why is it Called Chicken Eden Isle?
I don’t really know. From the little bit of research, I did on this subject, I see that it comes from a resort called the Red Apple Inn in Arkansas. It doesn’t seem to be documented that well. I also came across articles that called this “Church Chicken.” This is one of those super easy dishes you can make that is pretty darn inexpensive. It’s great for dropping off a meal for someone who could use one. I always serve this with a side of steamed broccoli (preferred method being microwavable). It pairs so well with the creamy chicken sauce! If you are sick of your same old baked chicken, you really need to try this recipe! It’s a great dish to make for company (and serve this easy Strawberry, Jello and Angel Food Cake dessert!). And it might not look that great, but I don’t know many people who would turn their noses up at a gorgeous, cream cheese sauce.
Here I served the chicken breast whole, on a bed of rice. More often than not, though, we eat this in a bowl. I let the chicken get really nice and tender and shred it up. It’s such a perfect family dinner idea for a cold weeknight!
I came across a few different recipes for Chicken Eden Isle and they were all a little bit different than this one. Some used bacon, some used prosciutto, and some used a combination of dried beef and something else. But this is the simple way we’ve been making this recipe for as long as I can remember. Do you make a creamy chicken dish like this one?? Do you have any dried beef recipes? Share them in the comments!
Printable Recipe for Chicken Eden Isle
- 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2.5 oz Can Dried Beef, You won't use the whole thing
- 10.5 oz Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, cube it for faster melting
- 8 oz carton Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cooked Rice, for serving
- Steamed Broccoli, as a side dish
- Put chicken in a baking dish.
- Separate dried beef and put on top of chicken so the breasts are covered (approximately 3 pieces for breast + more because your family will love it).
- Spoon soup over the chicken and dried beef.
- Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Bake, covered, in a 325 degree oven for 60 minutes.
- Uncover, and bake another 20 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Skim any fat from liquid in a saucepan (if using boneless, skinless breasts, there shouldn't be too much, if any, fat).
- Add sour cream and cream cheese to the saucepan.
- Heat until melted through.
- Serve over cooked rice with a side of steamed broccoli.
You can use a hand mixer to get a smoother sauce, but I'm far too lazy for that.
Serving Size4 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 563Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 184mgSodium 1221mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 49g
Pin this Creamy Chicken Recipe for Later
OMG! Now I feel like I should make this again! It’s so good! Trust me, you’re going to make this any time you have people over for dinner! And I know it should be eaten in moderation, but the heart wants what it wants. And my heart wants all the Creamy Chicken Eden Isle!
You may also like these easy weeknight dinner ideas
If you haven’t tried Chicken Eden Isle, put it on your meal plan for this week!