This Sweet and Sour Pork Chops Recipe are SO GOOD!
These easy oven baked sweet and sour pork chops are a favorite of mine from when I was a kid. The sauce is sweet and tangy and takes regular old pork chops up a notch. It’s a unique flavor but it’s a simple meal to make on a busy weeknight. If you love pork chops, you’ll definitely want to try this recipe!
How to Make Sweet and Sour Pork Chops
Whenever I share this recipe with friends they always look at me a little funny. I’ll admit, the ingredients seem wrong. And I’m not a lover of vinegar but somehow these ingredients work together and make oven baked pork chop magic.
Apparently, the vinegar helps to tenderize the meat and keep the tomato flavor from being too sweet. Oven baked pork chops are super easy to make, which is great on a weeknight. The sauce is rich so you can trick your family into believing that you worked on this recipe all afternoon. I love a good trick, don’t you?
Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Pork Chops
- 6 pork chops, approximately 1″
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2/3 cup vinegar
Weird!!! Right? I know these ingredients seem crazy together. But they work! One of the things I really love about this recipe is that all of these things (except for the pork chops – Costco pork chops are AWESOME btw) are things you should have in your pantry.
Steps to Make My Favorite Oven Baked Pork Chops
- Start by browning the chops on both sides in an oven-proof pan. (Usually, I don’t like recipes that have multiple steps, especially for a weeknight. But browning the pork chops gives them such amazing flavor before you bake them!)
- Mix up all the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add the sweet and sour sauce to the pork chops.
- Use tongs to make sure the pork chops are fully coated in the yummy, vinegar based sauce.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour.
Pork chops are one of our favorite dinners to make. The meat is mild in flavor and I love that you can prepare it all kinds of ways. And since my kids try to tell me they are allergic to chicken (they are not) pork is something I know they will eat without a fight.
Again, not pretty to look at but so delightful to eat. I like to pair these with mashed potatoes (I make the frozen kind that takes 10 minutes in the microwave! Mom hack, yo!) and green beans (quickly roasted with a little garlic salt and onion powder.)
Sweet and Tangy Pork Chops
This is one of those recipes that doesn't seem like I would like it at all but I totally do! This sweet and sour sauce makes these yummy pork chops extra special.
- 6 Pork Chops approx. 1 inch thick
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 2 tsp Celery Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 2/3 Cup Vinegar
- Brown chops on all sides in butter in an ovenproof pan.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Combine ketchup, celery salt, nutmeg and vinegar and pour over chops.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for about one hour.
- Baste the meat with sauce a few times throughout.
- Cook longer if meat is not tender after one hour.
Have you ever had sweet and sour pork chops like this before? Whether you are making this dish or easy oven baked pork chops, here are 5 mistakes to avoid when cooking pork chops!
Looking for other easy dinner recipes? Try these!
- Teriyaki Turkey Stir Fry
- Easy Chicken Tacos
- Butternut Squash Ravioli
- Chicken Eden Isle (the most delicious chicken with a cream cheese sauce!)
My friend has a delicious recipe for Pork Chops with Parmesan Sage Sauce that sounds so tasty. I can’t wait to make these too.
Pin These Oven Baked Pork Chops for Later
The oven-baked sweet and sour pork chops are crazy delicious! Leave a comment if you decide to make these! I’d love to know how you like it!