Everyone loves a 7 layer cookie bar but my kids can never agree on what toppings should go on them. We decided to make small batch cookie bars so they could choose their own toppings. It was a great recipe to make with kids and was pretty darn tasty in the old mouth hole.
I found these cute, small baking dishes at a local Japanese dollar store and picked up 4 of them. I figured that 4 of them would make up roughly a 9×13 baking dish. If you can’t find small dishes like these, you could also just section off parts of a full pan and have the kids make their own all in the same pan. I set out the toppings that you usually find on a cookie bar, like chocolate and butterscotch chips and coconut, but I also added in some other fun sweet items like white chocolate chips, toasted almonds and toffee bits. You can add just about anything but my kids are not a fan of things like raisins so I didn’t even bother.
First we started with the graham cracker crust. Why are graham crackers and butter SO good??We put approximately 1/2 cup of the crust in each pan and pressed down. Next, drizzle on sweetened condensed milk. This does not have to be precise, just try to make sure that the top of the graham cracker is pretty well covered. This is what gets all good and gooey when it bakes.
And then add toppings until your heart is content. Then add some more. Be sure to test them out to see if you really like them or not.
This kid used the old “one for you, one for me” mentality. When you are done putting on your toppings, pat them down in to the condensed milk so they get baked in. These cookie bars are almost as easy to make as a dump cake and are crazy tasty. Total crowd pleaser. Trust me. These cookie bars didn’t last long.
All images by Dez and Tam Photography
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Any other toppings you could possibly want like toffee chips, raisins, dried fruits, peanuts, potato chips...)
- Mix graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.
- Press the crumb mixture in to the bottom of a pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Drizzle on sweetened condensed milk.
- Add toppings and press in to the condensed milk.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 -30 minutes or until golden brown.
- For making smaller batches, you'll need to adjust the amount of crust and condensed milk depending on your pan choice.
Serving Size1 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 3382Total Fat 191gSaturated Fat 104gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 77gCholesterol 219mgSodium 1588mgCarbohydrates 401gFiber 21gSugar 317gProtein 50g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.