How many of you couldn’t wait to rip open your Fun Dip candy packets when you were a kid? I couldn’t get enough of that tangy powdered candy with that recognizable white candy stick.
Over the years it has become one of my favorite candies. So here’s everything you ever needed to know about it. Is your mouth-watering?
This post was originally published on September 1, 2019 and has now been updated with even more info and links to yummy recipes using this delicious candy.
Here’s everything you may want to know about Fun Dip. And when you’re done reading, check out how you can make Fun Dip at home!
Fun Dip Candy is Awesome!
If I have to choose between chocolate or a sweet-tart candy, I will skip chocolate every time. While Nerds candy is my all-time favorite, Fun Dip is a very close second!
While I don’t see too many kids eating Fun Dip as often as we used to as kids, they are very popular during certain times of the year (Halloween and Valentine’s day come to mind) plus they are a staple at pretty much every Little League snack bar.
It’s such a simple candy but has a rich history that I find super interesting. And Fun Dip is great for more than just a sugary candy fix. It is actually a super cool recipe ingredient! It seems weird, right?
So let’s dive into some serious Fun Dip facts!
Related: How to Make DIY Fun Dip at Home
What is Fun Dip?
Fun Dip is a flavored and colored powdered sugar candy (similar to Pixy Stix). This candy comes in packets containing 1 powder along with a white candy stick. In some occasions, you can find packets with multiple flavors!
How to Eat Fun Dip
There are a few ways to eat Fun Dip. You can pour it directly into your mouth as they did back in the day. Or, you can enjoy it with the delicious Lik.A.Stix candy stick.
All you need to do is lick the stick and then dip it into the powdery goodness scooping as you go (kind of like a spoon). The powder will stick to the stick while you bring it to your mouth for another sour/sweet serving.
And when you’re done with the powder, you can eat the stick! The stick has a mild vanilla flavor but mostly tastes sugary.
Fun Dip History
Learning about Fun Dip history has been so fun! From its original form of flavored sugar called Lik-M-Aid, to a multi-flavor candy treat with a stick that we know as Fun Dip, this candy holds a place in a lot of memories for us moms and dads.
Do you know how this fun candy was created though? Hold on tight, my friends. I am about to blow your mind.
The inspiration for this candy was actually a drink mix that was made by the Fruzola Candy company. The mix was a sweet and sour sugar powder mixture that you would pour directly into water and drink.
At some point, the company took notice that instead of pouring the mixture into water, kids were eating it in powder form. The company then decided to redesign the powder and market it as Lik-M-Aid for the kids to eat directly. It’s now known as Lik-M-Aid Fun Dip.
Want to know a couple more fun facts about Fun Dip?
- The drink mix that Fun Dip was inspired by was actually created to rival Kool-Aid.
- We mentioned earlier that Pixy Stix and Fun Dip were actually the same product, but did you know that SweeTarts are based on the same recipe too? It was tweaked just a little bit to create it in solid form.
Recently, Wonka was sold to or became part of Nestle Candy. I couldn’t find an official website for the candy.
Who Invented Fun Dip?
Fun Dip powder was invented by the Fruzola Candy Company. Fun fact: Until 1989, Fun Dip was actually named Lik-M-Aid and did not come with the Lik.A.Stix candy stick like it does now (how did anyone even eat it without that?).
It was at this time that it was moved to the Willy Wonka brand of candy and given the sweet new name and bonus candy stick.
When Was Fun Dip Made?
Okay, this is where it gets tricky. The first patent for Fun Dip (or Lik-M-Aid as it was known then) was in 1952. Although, there are rumors that are swirling around the internet that claim that the candy has been around since the 40s.
Fun Dip Flavors
Fun Dip flavors that are the easiest to find are Cherry and Raspberry/Apple and grape from time to time. Several more flavors have been made over time although they are not all currently available now. And some are seasonal and created for limited time periods.
Original Fun Dip flavors
Most Common Fun Dip Flavors
- Raspberry/Apple (this is the flavor that is blue when dry, but turns green on your tongue or the stick)
Dulceria Fun Dip Flavors (no longer available)
- Mango Lime with a Tamarind Stick (Dulceria collection)
- Cucumber Watermelon with a Lime Stick (Dulceria collection)
Other flavors have included:
- Sours pack with Strawberry, Watermelon and a Mystery Flavor
- Mystery flavor
- Watermelon (called a springtime flavor)
- Strawberry (also a springtime flavor)
Where to Buy Fun Dip
If you are trying to figure out where to buy Fun Dip, it mostly depends on the size of Fun Dip that you are shopping for.
- If you are looking for party-sized packs for Halloween, Valentines, or other celebratory reasons, then you should definitely grab those from Amazon or Smart and Final.
- If you are shopping for smaller packages, you can get those at Amazon as well.
- Individual packages can be bought at Party City near the party favors, or, if you are shopping for the Fun Dip Valentines, you may want to head to Target.
- If you are looking for the Speciality Fun Dip flavors, you will have the most luck on Amazon.
Fun Dip Ingredients
A single Fun Dip package contains 50 calories and 13 g of carbs (13 g sugar).
Ingredients of Fun Dip (straight from the package): Cherry: Dextrose, Maltodextrin, and less than 2% of Citric Acid, calcium Stearate, Natural Flavors, Red 40 Lake. RazzApple: Dextrose, Maltodextrin, and Less than 2% of Citric Acid, Calcium Stearate, Natural Flavors, Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 5.
For those with allergy concerns: per their packaging, Fun Dip Candy is Free From: dairy, egg, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, mustard, sesame, peanut, sulfites, soy, wheat, barley, oats, gluten, mollusks, celery & lupin
What is the Fun Dip Stick (Lik-a-Stix) made out of?
That delicious Fun Dip Stick (Lik.A.Stix), is for many, the best part of Fun Dip. Did you know that there was actually a petition started for the Wonka Candy company to begin selling the Lik.A.Stix separately from Fun Dip?
While it appears to be virtually impossible to find the ingredients to these tasty, white-colored candy sticks, we do know that they are made of compressed sugar.
Many people are searching for a recipe to make their own candy sticks, but I couldn’t come across anything even close to it! Oriental Trading Company sells white candy sticks but I haven’t tested them so I’m not sure if they are close!
I am by no means a Fun Dip expert, but I love learning about how my favorite candies were created!
Fun Dip is fun, tasty, and memory-inducing. After holidays, such as Halloween and Valentine’s Day we always have a lot left over. That means more sugary goodness for us, or, better yet, we get to create more desserts featuring the fun candy.
- Mango Lime Fun Dip Tequila Shot: You’ll love this sweet way to enjoy a shot of your favorite liquor.
- Sweet and Sour Fun Dip Cocktail with vodka: This one is a super sweet mixed drink that uses cherry Fun Dip.
- Non Alcoholic Cherry Fun Dip Drink for Kids: Your kids will love this super sweet candy infused drink that tastes like Fun Dip.
- And don’t forget you can make your own Fun Dip at Home!
- If you haven’t tried my famous (self-proclaimed) Easy Homemade Whipped Cream Flavored with Fun Dip yet, don’t wait. It’s delicious! It’s perfect for serving on top of your hot chocolate.
Recipes Using Candy
- This Chocolate Candy Dump Cake is so delicious!
- You’ll love this Cherry Candied Popcorn!
- We make this homemade Cinnamon Hard Candy every Christmas.
PIN TO SAVE THIS POST FOR LATER
Make sure you don’t lose this recipe by saving it for later! Also, for more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Instagram and like my page on Facebook. If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and tag me in your pictures!