This French Gimlet recipe is a refreshing and easy-to-make cocktail that is perfect for any spring occasion. Whether you are hosting a party or just looking for a delicious mixed drink to enjoy, this gin gimlet with St Germain elderflower liqueur will not disappoint!
A gin gimlet recipe with a floral twist
This French Gimlet cocktail recipe is a fun variation of a classic drink recipe.
A gimlet is typically made with gin or vodka, a little sweetener and some lime. This version is made with your favorite gin and enhanced with St. Germain elderflower liqueur.
Related: St Germain Wine Spritzer Recipe
The result is a refreshing drink with a fun spring twist that makes it the perfect drink to sip at happy hour, a cocktail party or any time.
You only need a few simple ingredients to help you make this simple gin cocktail recipe. All of these ingredients can be found at your local liquor store or in a well-stocked bar.
The tartness of the lime pairs perfectly with the botanical flavor of the gin, making for a harmonious combination in each sip. And St Germain acts as the sweetener but also adds such a lovely floral note.
See the printable recipe card below for quantities and full recipe.
How to make a French gimlet cocktail
Add fresh lime juice to a cocktail shaker.
Add St. Germain to your cocktail shaker.
Add your favorite gin to your shaker.
Add ice and shake well.
Strain the St Germain cocktail into a martini glass and serve immediately.
NOTE: While there is certain glassware that I love, don't feel like you have to go out and buy something specific in order to make a cocktail. A drink tastes good out of a red plastic cup too.
- Don’t have St. Germain on hand? No problem, you can substitute it with another type of Elderflower liqueur or even a splash of champagne. Without the St Germain it won't be a French Gimlet, but it will still be delicious.
- Don't like gin? Substitute your favorite vodka instead.
- Use fresh lime juice for this recipe. It really does make a difference in the overall flavor of the cocktail.
- If you want it a little bit sweeter you can add a little bit more St Germain or plain simple syrup.
Frequently Asked Questions
St. Germain is a French liqueur made from elderflowers that are picked just once a year.
Most liqueurs, because of their high alcohol content, are fine to be stored out of the refrigerator at room temperature for about 6 months. I suggest buying the smaller size bottle so that you have a chance to get it through it before it may have to be replaced.
There really isn't much difference at all other than a martini is typically made with vermouth and a gimlet is made with lime juice to flavor it. But both can be made with either vodka or gin.
The St. Germain French gimlet recipe is so simple and so classic. It couldn't be easier to make, which makes it perfect for parties.
Make sure you don’t lose this recipe by saving it for later! Also, for more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Instagram and like my page on Facebook. If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and tag me in your pictures!
More easy St Germain recipes
More tasty gimlets to try
- Watermelon Gimlet Recipe
- Cucumber Gimlet Cocktail with Vodka
- Refreshing Tequila Gimlet Recipe
- Classic and Refreshing Vodka Gimlet
- Lavender Gimlet
Or browse 23 Easy Gin Cocktails to make at home.
St Germain Gimlet Recipe
- Add the gin, St Germain and fresh lime juice to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice then mix well.
- Strain it into a martini glass.
- Garnish with a slice of fresh lime.