This Birthday Sprinkle Cupcakes recipe is super easy, quick to make, and packed with all the festive sprinkles. Boxed cake mix makes these party cupcakes great for beginning bakers who want to make them feel a little more special. Plus they're super moist thanks to one special extra ingredient.
You'll love these easy cupcakes with extra flair
Birthday cupcakes can be anything from plain old vanilla cupcakes to something a little fancier like Prosecco Cupcakes.
But I think sprinkle cupcakes are always the best to serve for a birthday. This recipe shows you how to use a box of yellow cake mix and stud it with fun star-shaped sprinkles.
Related post: Cupcakes in a Jar Delivery Birthday Gift Idea
Topped with the fluffiest vanilla frosting, and even more sprinkles, these easy cupcakes are the perfect dessert to serve no matter whose birthday you're celebrating.
The best birthday cupcakes don't take a ton of time, taste great and make the guest of honor smile. This recipe is sure to be your new favorite.
I like to use boxed cake mix as a base because it's quick and easy and you get a consistent flavor every time. Seriously there is nothing better than cake mix desserts.
In this case, I added butter in place of the oil that was called for in the cake mix directions. It adds a nice texture and also gives it a little bit more flavor.
I added sour cream to keep the cake extra moist without thinning out the batter. It keeps the cake very tender which I love.
While I used star-shaped sprinkles, you can really use whatever sprinkles you prefer!
If you prefer homemade cake you can use your favorite recipe.
And while I prefer to use my vanilla frosting recipe, you can use store-bought to save time.
See the printable recipe card for quantities and the full recipe.
- Large mixing bowl (I prefer to use a batter bowl)
- Hand mixer
- Measuring cups
- Muffin tins
- Cupcake liners
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
In a medium to large bowl beat the butter until light and fluffy.
Add half the yellow cake mix and beat until airy.
Incorporate the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Mix in the sour cream.
Slowly add the remaining cake mix and beat until incorporated.
Add the sprinkles and fold them into the batter.
Divide the batter between the cupcake liners and place in the oven.
Bake for 5 minutes at the preheated temperature of 400 degrees, then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for 12 more minutes or until done.
Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting with the vanilla frosting.
Add don't forget to add the extra sprinkles on top before serving these fun birthday cupcakes.
Try different flavors - You can use any light-colored cake mix. Vanilla is traditional, but other light colors like banana, lemon or white cake would work well with sprinkles too!
Add a surprise - If you don't want to mix in the sprinkles into the batter you can hide them inside like in my Easter Pinata Cupcakes! The sprinkles spill out of the cupcakes in a really fun way.
- Pick good quality sprinkles. Honestly, this is the most important tip. Good quality sprinkles hold their color and don’t bleed through the batter which is important if you don’t want to end up with a weird gray-colored cupcake.
- Mix in the sprinkles at the very last minute to prevent them from bleeding. While good quality sprinkles can hold their color pretty well you don't want to risk it by letting them sit in a wet batter for too long. Just mix them at the end right before scooping out the batter into cupcake liners.
- If you're worried about serving a boxed cake mix cupcake, use this hack! Boxed cake mix cupcakes are pretty good. When topped with store-bought frosting, they're still pretty good. But if you make your own homemade frosting, it really levels them up! If you only have time to make one thing from scratch, make the frosting!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can store these cupcakes in an airtight container on the countertop for a couple of days or in the refrigerator up to a week.
A regular boxed cake mix makes 24 cupcakes, but your yield will depend on the size of your muffin tin wells.
Some people refer to these as simply birthday cupcakes while others call them funfetti cupcakes. There are also a bunch of people that refer to them as confetti cupcakes and finally, some of us prefer to call them sprinkle cupcakes.
We are all talking about the same thing, those fluffy, sweet, tasty, filled-with-sprinkles cupcakes that seem to be popular during birthdays.
These are the best birthday cupcakes to serve no matter if it's for a child or an adult!
These sprinkle cupcakes are fluffy, sweet, and festive and can be made and decorated in about an hour.
More easy cupcake recipes
- Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake Cupcakes
- Strawberry Jello Cupcakes
- Scrumptious Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes Recipe
- Cheeto Cupcakes Your Kids Need to Try
- Festive Prosecco Cupcakes Recipe with Prosecco Buttercream
- Coconut Rum Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting
Save and pin this recipe for later!
Save this recipe for later by pinning it or clicking the teal heart at the bottom right of the page. For more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Instagram and like my page on Facebook. If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and tag me in your pictures!
Easy Birthday Sprinkle Cupcakes
- 15 oz Yellow cake mix
- 3 Eggs
- ½ Cup butter
- 1 Cup sour cream
- ½ Cup sprinkles + around 4 tablespoon more for decorating
- 1 Cup the very best vanilla frosting
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a medium to large bowl beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add half the yellow cake mix and beat until airy.
- Incorporate the eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Mix in the sour cream.
- Slowly add the remaining cake mix and beat until incorporated.
- Add the sprinkles and fold into the batter.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake liners and put in the oven.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 400 degrees and then turn the oven down to 350 degrees. Bake for 12 more minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before frosting with the vanilla frosting.
- Add extra sprinkles on top before serving.
Leave a Reply