Bare walls are so boring! This easy-to-make boho-esque craft adds a decorative touch to a blank wall.
This fun DIY Yarn Wall Hanging is a great idea for any room in the house.
Yarn crafts are usually inexpensive and easy to customize making this DIY wall art a great way to add color and texture to your home decor.
If you’re looking for an activity to do with the kids, make a peace sign yarn hanging!
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I earn from qualifying purchases by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I also participate in other affiliate programs for other retailers. Originally posted October 14, 2013.
Make a DIY Yarn Wall Hanging
My oldest son had been asking to update his room for a while. So I decided to look around the house to see if I could use some items I already had to create wall decor.
I’m not the craftiest person. But once in a while, I know that I have the skills to tackle something simple. Plus, he really wanted a peace sign wall hanging and I couldn’t find one anywhere.
Making yarn wall decor is really easy to make and inexpensive too. And not only does it look cute on the wall, but it would also make a fun homemade gift idea.
How to make yarn wall art
There are tons of tutorials on the web for making your own wall art with yarn. While I love macrame, that is much more difficult! This requires a few simple knots. So easy!
I loved this peach colored hoop I found at my Joann’s craft store. But Amazon has a lot of colors too. And there is something to be said for the simplicity of the standard wooden hoops.
If I was making one of these for my room, I would probably use muted colors or a wood option.
But for a kid’s room, a colored hoop is awesome!
I don’t know why yarn makes me so happy. I love yarn crafts (check out this easy winter garland). They are usually super easy and inexpensive.
And yarn comes in so many different colors and textures. This black and white combo stopped me in my tracks.
For this craft, I wanted to use yarn that was a little bit thicker than you typically find in kid’s crafts. You can use regular , thin yarn, but it won’t look quite as full, or it will take you double the time to double up on the yarn.
- Cut about 40 lengths of string approximately 2-3 feet long. They don’t need to be exact, as you can see from the image below the bottom is uneven.
- Take one piece of string and fold it in half.
- Loop a piece of string under the embroidery hoop and pull the ends back through the loop.
- Then just pull it snug.
- Repeat with all the sting, making sure to spread out the colors as you prefer.
To add the peace sign to a yarn wall hanging
- Create a loop with a piece of yarn at the top of the hoop.
- Pull it taught and knot it at the bottom of the hoop and tuck the knot under some of the loops hanging off the bottom.
- Take two small pieces of string and attach them to the string going from top to bottom a little above halfway.
- Attach each of those ends to the outside of the embroidery hoop so that it looks like a peace sign.
I love how raw the yarn is at the bottom so I left it uneven on purpose. But you can trim it up if you want it to feel more organized.
I couldn’t wait to show my son when he got home from school. He loved it. And then promptly moved on to his swords. I think he’s been a ninja for Halloween for 4 years now.
This fun yarn wall art would be fun to make with the kids too. Have them pick out all the pieces and then direct them how to make the easy loops. It really is even easier than making a knot.
The yarn wall hanging looks so cute on his bedroom wall. This DIY was super cheap to make and was done in just a few minutes! I can’t wait to make more for the rest of the house.
We decided to keep things super simple and just use yarn. But you could also add in some macrame style knots or beads, etc.
Make your own yarn wall decor
More home decor posts to check out
- Bedroom Decorating Ideas for a Makeover
- Another super simple DIY Wall Hanging
- 5 Cool Ways to Personalize Wall Art
Pin this easy yarn craft for later
This easy DIY yarn wall hanging tutorial will show you how to make a cute wall decoration for your kid’s room!