Yeah. You read that right. This is called a dump cake. Here is a delicious Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake recipe. You literally just dump things in a baking dish and pop it in the oven. And it is insanely good. It is one of those things that you serve or even describe to someone and they are like, “yeah, none of that sounds amazing.” But I know my desserts. And this one is SO GOOD. Full disclosure, I ate this whole batch in two days. Pretty much by myself. It’s pretty great warm and, in my opinion, even better cold. And although it is technically a dessert, it also works well for breakfast, lunch and snacks…
It only take a few ingredients to make a cherry pineapple dump cake. You could use margarine instead of the butter but it is NOT as good. Like, not even close. But it can be done if you are dealing with food allergies or you are crazy and think margarine is better than butter (but it is just not. Agree to disagree). I choose to use salted butter because I love salty and sweet together. And I don’t add salt to anything else I eat (aside from normal seasoning in the pan like real chefs) except for avocados and cherry tomatoes. So I figure my sodium levels can take it.
Pour a can of crushed pineapple in your baking dish. Spread it out so it covers most of the pan (seriously there is no wrong way to do this and you should not spend much time on it. Just dump it.) Then pour a can of cherry pie filling over the top.
The hardest part of this recipe is melting the butter. Why can’t I get it to melt all nice and mellow? It always pops and blows up all over my microwave. Melting butter is super aggressive. But I still love it. All you do is pour it over the top of the dry cake mix. And that will smell even better than it did a minute ago.
To serve, spoon a heaping portion in to a bowl. It is mostly made up of fruit after all…While it doesn’t immediately look like something you would make when having guests over due to it’s somewhat sloppy demeanor, the taste is a total crowd pleaser. And your kids and male guests will get a good laugh when you call it a dump cake.
- 1 can Crushed Pineapple (normal sized can, not a small one - do not drain)
- 1 can Cherry Pie Filling (Comstock brand is always a good choice. I went with an alternative last time and was disappointed)
- 1 box Cake Mix (Yellow or White)
- 1 cup butter (margarine only if you have to for allergy reasons - otherwise only use butter!)
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with Pam or other spray oil.
- Pour in the crushed pineapple and juice and spread out on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the cherry pie filling on top (it will not spread out evenly).
- Sprinkle cake mix over the cherries.
- Melt butter and spoon over mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
You will not be disappointed!! Have you ever made a dump cake before?
*For the most part, I do not create recipes but share the ones I grew up with in my family. I’m certain some fantastic chef came up with this many moons ago but no sources are listed in my homemade cookbook from my mom. She didn’t anticipate blogging. You can find more of these “recipes” by clicking the image below!
I LOVE desserts. Follow more yummy goodness on my pinterest boards!