Make this Spiced Rum Cupcakes Recipe with pipettes and taste for yourself the delicious combination of spiced rum and vanilla cupcakes with yummy semi-homemade rum buttercream frosting. These super easy-to-make cupcakes are popping with flavor and will surely stand out at your next party!
You'll love these Boozy Cupcakes with Pipettes
Spiced Rum Cupcakes are full of flavor and fun dessert to serve for any party or gathering.
Rum Cupcakes using cake mix are so simple to make and a great boozy dessert to share with friends. Whether you're a fan of spiced rum cocktails or just looking for a unique treat idea, this recipe should be on your radar.
Related post: Coconut and Rum Cupcakes
You can totally add alcohol pipettes to any boozy cupcake to add more liquor or use them to add extra caramel, chocolate or other flavor.
You’ll need only 6 main ingredients to make these cupcakes with spiced rum.
- Butter Golden cake mix (or yellow cake mix)
- Spiced rum
- Buttercream frosting or store-bought
I picked golden butter cake mix for this recipe instead of the usual yellow cake mix because it has a richer butter flavor, which goes so well with rum! But yellow will work (and even a white cake mix!) is fine. Cake mix desserts are awesome.
For the rum, use whatever spiced rum you have. It doesn't have to be expensive but you should like the flavor of the rum, especially because you will taste it in the frosting. Captain Morgan and Kraken Black Spiced Rum are both great options.
You can make your own buttercream frosting or get a pre-made frosting from the store for your convenience.
Cinnamon is an optional ingredient. It just adds a bit of warmth and enhances the flavor of the spiced rum. And is just a nice little garnish on top. But you can skip it if you don't want it.
See the printable recipe card for quantities and full recipe.
How to make spiced rum cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
To a large bowl, or bowl of a stand mixer add the cake mix, butter, water, spiced rum, and eggs then beat on high for 3 minutes.
Use a scooper to put the batter in the cupcake liners, filling each of them about ⅔ full.
Place the pan in the oven, and bake for 10-13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove the cupcakes from the oven, and allow to cool for 1 hour.
Make the rum frosting
If making your own buttercream, whip up a batch (direction in my buttercream post) and then add rum.
If using store-bought frosting, scoop the frosting into a bowl, add rum and beat on high for 2 minutes to combine the rum and fluff it up.
Prepare a pastry bag with the 1A frosting tip, and add the frosting.
Pipe the frosting in a circle.
Sprinkle the frosting with cinnamon if desired.
Add the pipette
Fill each of the pipettes ⅓ - ½ way with spiced rum, and stick into the top of each cupcake.
Make It Your Own
- Crunch - Add nuts like pecans, almonds, or walnuts for some texture. Toast them for more flavor. Toss the nuts into the batter or place them on top of the frosting.
- Fruit - Add a fruit compote or jam to the center of the cupcakes. While it is an extra step, it is super easy, remove a small section of the cupcake from the center, fill it and frost it! Tropical fruits would pair well with the spiced rum.
- Caramel drizzle - Add another layer of flavor with a drizzle of caramel.
- Garnish with candied ginger - Candied ginger will add a little sweet heat, texture and would be a nice addition to the spiced rum.
- Decorate - Feel free to decorate your cupcake by coloring the frosting and using sprinkles!
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cupcake pan
- Cupcake liners
- Ice cream scoop (for portioning the cupcake batter)
- Piping bag and tip
- Ingredients are easiest to combine when eggs and butter are at room temperature.
- Overmixing the batter can cause tough cupcakes.
- A cookie scoop is my favorite way to portion the cupcake batter into the liners. It keeps the size consistent and is slightly less messy.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for a few minutes then move them a wire a rack to cool the rest of the way. If you leave them in the pan to cool they might get soggy.
- Don't want to decorate cupcakes? Just use the back of a spoon to spread out a light layer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can make a bunch of these spiced rum cupcakes ahead for your big party and freeze them until ready to use. Wrap them secure in cling wrap or in an airtight container then keep the freezer for up to 1 month.
Thaw them first overnight in the refrigerator before piping the frosting on.
Store the cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator, if unfrosted. If they are frosted, make sure to keep them in the fridge.
If you don't like spiced rum, you could use something else like whiskey or bourbon, Kahula or even tequila.
Yes! You can make these cupcakes without spiced rum. Just leave out the rum and still make delicious cupcakes by using rum extract or simply using water in place of that liquid.
Make sure you don’t lose this recipe by saving it for later! Also, for more recipes make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Instagram and like my page on Facebook. If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and tag me in your pictures!
More easy cupcake recipes
- Margarita Cupcakes
- Moscow Mule Cupcakes
- Elderflower Liqueur Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream
- Prosecco Cupcakes with Buttercream
- White Russian Cupcakes with Vodka
- Southern Comfort Alcohol Infused Cupcakes
- Pina Colada Cupcakes with Coconut Rum
- Coconut Cupcakes
- Hennessy Cupcakes
Boozy Spiced Rum Cupcakes with Cake Mix
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- To a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, add the cake mix, butter, water, rum, and eggs, then beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Use a cookie scoop to place the batter into the cupcake liners filling each about ⅔ full.
- Put the pan in the oven, and bake for 10-13 minutes. (Or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
- Take the cupcakes out of the oven, and allow to cool for 1 hour.
- If making homemade buttercream, make the batch following the directions, then add 1 tablespoon of spiced rum and mix until blended.
- If using store-bought frosting, scrape the frosting out of the jar and into a bowl. Add the 1 tablespoon of rum and mix well for 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Prepare a pastry bag with the 1A frosting tip, and add the frosting.
- Add frosting in a circular motion on top of the cupcake.
- Sprinkle the frosting with cinnamon if desired.
- Fill each of the pipettes ⅓ - ½ way with rum, and stick into the top of each cupcake.