If you aren’t using Netflix Downloads, you aren’t living your best life! Launched at the end of last year, I have used this feature a ton and want to make sure you know about it. It’s perfect for moms, not only for watching your own shows but for being able to take along your kid’s favorite Netflix programs when you don’t have wi-fi. This is HUGE! It makes running errands with kids or waiting for long periods totally bearable! As part of the Netflix #StreamTeam, I write about my favorite shows and features of Netflix each month. I have received product and/or compensation as part of this partnership.
I’ve got a lot of shows on “My List.” Unfortunately, I don’t have a ton of time to watch them throughout the normal day. I’ve found that when I travel is when I can really start the shows that I have been dying to see. That’s not to say I don’t watch Netflix at other times. I have a list of shows that have to be watched with my husband (Club de Cuervos, Wet Hot American Summer) and the ones I want to watch with the kids (Fuller House, Greenhouse Academy).
I found out about Netflix Downloads last December right before I was headed on a week-long bus trip through the South. The bus had terrible wi-fi but it didn’t matter because I could watch movies (I had downloaded a bunch before I left the hotel)! It was fantastic. This past summer, my husband and I also used Netflix Downloads on our vacation. It allowed us to have movies and TV shows to watch each night as we fell asleep in our mountain cabin. The wi-fi was dreadful and only available in my mom’s cabin. We would watch shows at night and I would head to her cabin in the morning to download new episodes. As a TV lover, this made my life. Falling asleep to mountain silence is totally disturbing to me. While not everything is available for download, there is a huge selection of things that are. I always find things to download to watch when I’m away on a business trip or at a long appointment without wi-fi. But there is also a large number of kids and teens shows available too! This is perfect for road trips. We used to try to take a portable DVD player with us but that was just another piece of luggage to try to fit in our already overstuffed car. This way, the kids have books, games and movies all on their iPad. It’s the best! The downloaded movies are easy to find and they aren’t permanent so they don’t eat up all your storage space. I haven’t downloaded anything in a while. These were from my trip to Texas in October and are all expired. I would just have to re-download them if I want to watch them on the go. Or find something new to add.So no matter where you are, you can have the perfect afternoon. Just make some hot chocolate, grab a sweet treat and watch a movie – wi-fi or not. And, yes, that is a Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man marshmallow in my hot cocoa. You can see 5 seasons of The Real Ghostbusters on Netflix!. I love to theme my snacks to what I’m watching on Netflix. And, OMG, these are the best caramels I’ve ever had (thank you for sending Monday Sparkles!)I love the changes that Netflix keeps making to provide a better watching experience. Another change they recently made was launching a Netflix Family page on Facebook. It’s the perfect place to find out all the latest show and movie updates for your family. It’s a great place to check out the shows that are family friendly or have new seasons available. And since we are just a week away from 2018, I thought I’d share my top 5 Netflix moments from this past year. (How cute is this tea towel from Love and Lion?! It’s such a cute gift idea. Pair it with a Netflix gift card and give the gift of great entertainment!
- Stevie Nicks in American Horror Story, Season 3 – Coven. I started watching this season at the first of the year, right after I got home from New Orleans on that bus trip. It was really cool to see the place I had just been, especially after learning a little bit about the history of the area. And Stevie Nicks is everything.
- Madame Secretary – My hubby and I found Madame Secretary on our summer vacation (thank you, downloads!) and quickly became obsessed! It’s such a great show! That was the first show we legit binge watched together and it was amazing. I loved getting to spend time with him and also this show is so fun to watch! Related: Everything I Know About Politics I Learned from Netflix.
- Gaga: Five Foot 2 – This behind the scenes look in to the life of Lady Gaga was super emotional. It shows her at her most vulnerable talking about the constant pain she is in and how grateful she is to know that she can afford all the specialists and treatments but seems also conflicted because she knows that most of the population can’t. It talks a little about her love life, her music making process and goes deep on the meaning behind her latest album, Joanne. It’s SO good. I cried like 20 times. I’m not a super fan of her music but this made me really like her as a human.
- GLOW – What a phenomenal show! If you grew up in the 80’s you totally remember the female wrestling show that this is loosely based on. But the conflict between the characters and the story is told so well. The music is great, the cast is awesome. This is one you HAVE to watch if you haven’t already. Alison Brie was also nominated for a Golden Globe for this role!
- The Office – My 11-year-old and I are currently in an Office binge. While some of the episodes might be a tad inappropriate or over his head, this show is hysterical, just like the first time I watched it. I love that this show gives us a reason to spend time together (which can be hard to find when they are this age) and sets us up perfectly for talking about real world issues. In this current climate, Michael Scott is the poster child for the wrong way to be as a person and it awesome to hear my son’s commentary about plot lines or things Michael says. Aside from that, this is just an all around great show. It’s so funny and the love story between Pam and Jim is fun to relive even though I know what will happen in the end.
I look forward to watching even more Netflix next year! There are so many fun things coming to the platform that I know your family will love!
You may also like these posts: