I'm LOVING all the nail colors this season. While I usually get a manicure at a salon, this time I decided to invite some friends over and do our nails at home. With wine. If you're wondering what the best nail polish for fall is this year, check out my picks below!
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I earn from qualifying purchases by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I also participate in other affiliate programs for other retailers.
Best Nail Polish for Fall
Our So Cal weather is still in the 80's but changing to autumn nail colors just feels right! It's still a month or so until we can regularly wear sweaters, so at least we can swap out our bright nails for fall's more moody colors.
The colors for this season really do feel very fall. But they've lightened up a bit. You still get the rich colors, but they feel a little softer.
I'm not a nail art kind of girl so for me, I love to look for unique nail colors that will make me feel updated and bold without being high maintenance. Especially if I'm doing my nails at home!
What is the Best Nail Color For Fall?
After you've had a few glasses of wine, you won't care anymore, right? Just kidding.
I love to go dark for fall. I love a blue that is almost black. I love a really dirty army green. I love a burnt sienna. I love a murky pink.
Whatever your go-to color is, look for something in that same color range but play with the tones! There's no wrong color to wear if you're heart truly loves it (but I do implore you to give that hot pink a good long thought).
If you are fair-skinned, go for the richer shade. Lighter shades can wash out your fingers and toes, especially frosted shades. Darker shades pop on pale skin, so go for it! I prefer how my hands look in dark colors.
If you have a darker skin tone, most nail polishes will complement your skin. So take a risk and try a new fall nail polish!
Best Nail Polish for at Home
Burgundy nail lacquers are perennial favorites. The hottest shades this season are the deep and rich. But a new favorite, dark brown, is emerging as a hot trend.
Burgundy Nail Polish
- Essie's After Sex is as sensual as it sounds. It is a deep red with a slight metallic shimmer.
- Want a shade you’ll fall in love with? Try SpaRitual’s Epicurean, a luxurious metallic-maroon shade from their Earth Low Notes Collection, and it will surely become one of your favorites.
- For deep, crème wine shades, try Essie’s Bordeaux or OPI I'm Not Really a Waitress. They're really pretty shades that will go with everything.
- Ready to go even bolder? Essie’s Berry Naughty or Orly's Naughty, both blackberry shades, will get plenty of attention.
- The OPI Russian Collection also goes over to the dark side with OPI Midnight in Moscow, a bold burgundy with a slight glimmer.
- And I love the Sally Hansen Miracle Gels (2 steps, with a special topcoat, that you do at home but it lasts longer than traditional polish) products. Their V-Amplified is so pretty and the perfect color to wear to Thanksgiving.
Dark and Lovely Colors for Your Nails
- Another Sally Hansen Gel Color that I can't stop wearing is Jealous Boyfriend. It's this great deep bluish-green. It's super wearable and while it's a different color (especially when you're used to wearing a ballet pink or a bold black), it's very chic.
- OPI Coal-ition is this deep, dark, charcoal color that isn't quite black but really pretty! I will be wearing this one all season long!
- When I'm in a rush and need to have my nails dry super fast, I love to use Sally Hansens's Insta-Dri! I always have my go-to black, Black to Black, around.
- I also love this really pretty dark blue called Plummet. This polish dries really fast and has so many colors to choose from. It's also one of the more inexpensive nail polish lines which are, of course, fantastic!
Favorite Brown Nail Polishes
They’re alluring, dark, and delicious. Deep, rich browns are always a great color for fall. These delectable shades won’t disappoint.
- Essie's Decadent Diva, is a deep bronze-brown. It's got golden undertones that make it more of a warm tone.
- Their Chocolate Kisses, a dark chocolate cherry, looks yummy enough to eat!
- OPI How Great is Your Dane is a pretty deep brown. It's dark without being too close to black and has a really lovely look. I'm dying to try this color!
- And their Speaker of the House is a lighter brown with a touch of pink. Most people probably wouldn't want to run towards brown colors when there are so many other options but this one is so lovely.
Fun for Your Fingers with Berries and Other Brights
These are the shades I'm really into this season! They're pretty and are a great way to add a pop of color to your fall outfits.
- Essie's Yes I Canyon is THE color for me this fall! The image on Amazon does not do it justice! It's more of an orange than a red and it's rich and not pink. (It's the orange polish showing in the photo above – but again, it's so great in person!)
- If you want to do pink, but have it feel current, try Sally Hansen's Insta Dri in Expresso. It's a mauve that leans a little purple and it's gorgeous.
- I'm also loving the pretty matte finish on Sally Hansen's Insta Dri in Rose Flush. It's a metallic rose gold color that you have to see! You do need a few coats but it's really cool.
- I can't quit the Sally Hansen Insta Dri! It's just so easy and wearable. I am in LOVE with the pretty beige color called Sand Storm. With a name like that, you can almost guess what it looks like. It's a great lighter color for the fall that still really pops off the nails.
Ready to try something new but want to sample first? Try OPI lacquers against your skin tone on their interactive nail studio simulator. It's such a cool tool.
Buying nail polish online can be hard because it's hard to get a true sense of the colors from the photos. This list can help guide you towards the best nail color for fall!
More Fall Style Posts
- Find all my Favorite Amazon Beauty Products for Fall in this big shopping list.
- Easy Mom Makeup look for fall. The bold lip brings it from a great everyday look into night!
- Make this DIY Coffee Cellulite Scrub to help keep your skin and booty in tip-top shape!
Pin These Fall Nail Colors for Later
This list of the best nail polish for fall will help you narrow down the colors that will up your style game this season! From classic burgundy to bright pumpkin-esque colors, there's something for everyone on this list.