I had such a fantastic time working on my fall photo shoot challenge and creating an outdoor movie party! Many people asked if there was a recipe to go along with the Apple Spice Sangria I featured in the shoot. There is! I’m happy to share it with you all and I hope you can all enjoy it with friends, old and new. It is the perfect transitional drink as we head in to fall and would be so great for upcoming holiday entertaining. Sangrias are the perfect thing to serve a large crowd!
- 1 red apple, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 green apple, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 cup apple juice
- 15 whole cloves
- 4 dashes of cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1/2 cup cognac
- 1/3 cup simple syrup
- cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- In a saucepan, combine the apples, apple juice, whole cloves, cinnamon, and vanilla bean over low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until apples just begin to caramelize.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Let cool.
- Combine the wine and cognac in a large ceramic or glass container.
- Add the apple-spice mixture and stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Serve over ice and garnish with cinnamon sticks.
- Serves about 6.